It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:09 am

Text Size
Login

Good Friday

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby irish_goat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Diablo wrote:
Barry M wrote: Is Ireland the last country that has such a rule for good Friday?

There is some voluntary observance in Northern Ireland. I was unable to buy alcohol in the tap room at Hilden last Good Friday.

Weird. The official rules are you can serve drink from 5pm-10pm up here.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby kenmc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Diablo wrote:One of my local restaurants is doing BYO tomorrow within 100 metres of a Garda station. They seem to be unaware it's illegal. Will let y'all know if we get raided.

How/why is it illegal? Is the ban not on selling/serving alcohol, not drinking it nor allowing it to be consumed on your premises.
Planning:: Bad Friday IPA
Primary:: :(
Drinking:: Remains of xmas brew

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk.Alcoholics go to meetings
kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby irish_goat » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

kenmc wrote:How/why is it illegal? Is the ban not on selling/serving alcohol, not drinking it nor allowing it to be consumed on your premises.

It's illegal to allow drink to be consumed on your premises as well (if you have a license).
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm

noby wrote:
Diablo wrote:
TheBeerNut wrote:You'd think they'd campaign for Good Friday to be held on a Monday, rather than the busiest day of the week.

They'll probably make up for it between tonight and Saturday.

The one and only benefit is a hassle-free setup in the Franciscan Well tomorrow.

Don't they realise the danger, as everyone stocks up on below-cost booze at the supermarket, to drink in the unsafe environment of the home! :o
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby Will_D » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:54 pm

kenmc wrote: Also, there's usually a Leinster game in the RDS and the bars inside are open ( it's a private club :D ),

Is this really correct?

Does it mean that my Rugby club could also sell beer to members?

Gut instinct says its not true!

PS: Welcome back Ken, Start to brew beer.

It means you are home: BrownyPoints Tick
Also breaw something the wife likes: Double BPs

Its win win

Oh and by the way falling off the bar stool is less painfull than falling off the bike
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner
Will_D
Beoir Member

Postby kenmc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Thats right Joe, the kids will be tanked up by 10, and then head into town to queue for the dishcos to open up at 0:00:01.

I'm off to queue up in the offlicence now very soon. Heard there's a run on craft beer this year.

kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby kenmc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Will_D wrote:
kenmc wrote: Also, there's usually a Leinster game in the RDS and the bars inside are open ( it's a private club :D ),

Is this really correct?

Does it mean that my Rugby club could also sell beer to members?

Gut instinct says its not true!

PS: Welcome back Ken, Start to brew beer.

It means you are home: BrownyPoints Tick
Also breaw something the wife likes: Double BPs

Its win win

Oh and by the way falling off the bar stool is less painfull than falling off the bike

Well they have the last couple of years. Not sure how the criteria are defined, but IIRC you can also get a drink in a theatre, and greyhound stadium, as well as the well known loopholes of trainstations, airports, hotel bar for residents etc... see if I can find out..

edit:
article from a national source of dubious quality, 2010:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ex ... 39339.html
"It can also be sold in a military canteen and a club can be provided with authorisation to sell alcohol for six hours on Good Friday."

p.s. what do you mean "start" to brew beer? I've been a brewer since 2004!

kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby Diablo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:45 pm

irish_goat wrote:Weird. The official rules are you can serve drink from 5pm-10pm up here.

Ahhh I didn't realise there were special GF rules in the north. I had assumed it was a normal day for licensing purposes. I was having lunch in the tap room, so before 5pm.
Diablo

Postby Dunkel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Always strikes me as daft - Easter could well be seen as the start of the tourist season. One of the advertised attractions of this country is the Irish Pub. So you get a bunch of Americans, or French, or whatever, wandering around looking for "ceol agus craic", only to find all the pubs closed.
Must lose the country millions today :roll:
Dunkel
Beoir Member

Postby irish_goat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Dunkel wrote:Always strikes me as daft - Easter could well be seen as the start of the tourist season. One of the advertised attractions of this country is the Irish Pub. So you get a bunch of Americans, or French, or whatever, wandering around looking for "ceol agus craic", only to find all the pubs closed.
Must lose the country millions today :roll:

You can be sure there's English stag do's wandering aimlessly round Temple Bar right now.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby Rory » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Yeah, there was a story in the paper last year about at least one very unhappy stag do that were over. I think they ended up alternating between rail station bars (Heuston and Connolly?). You can see how it would easily happen.
Rory
Beoir Member

Postby DCBrewing » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Saw a lot of tourists wandering around today with a lot of places closed. Im sure they would love a drink and maybe an irish craft one but they cant. Bet they are laughing at us in a bad way.

It must be a big tourist weekend and therefore an opportunity to promote irish craft beer which we are all about so I think we should have a stance to repeal the law.
Last edited by DCBrewing on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCBrewing
Beoir Member

Postby CTbeerguy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 pm

DCBrewing wrote:Saw a lot of tourists wandering around today with a lot of places closed. Im sure they would love a drink and maybe an irish craft one but they cant. Bet they are laughing at us in a bad way.

It must be a big tourist weekend and therefore an opportunity to promote irish craft beer which we are all about so I think we should have a stance to repel the law.

Was downtown all day and saw the largest crowds since Christmas, and not a bar open. I actually forgot the law and was headed directly to AtG hoping that they had Beoir #1 still on keg...only to remember right as I got off the LUAS at Stephens :evil:
Twitter: @james02135, @metalman_james
Ratebeer: beerfest5
CTbeerguy
Beoir Member

Postby kenmc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:03 pm

gotta feel sorry for the treviso fans who travelled over to endure a 9 try to 1 demolition in rds. pints flowing there, but on leaving the ground, a drought of biblical proportions ...

kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby mightymikeD » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:02 am

I'll add one thing.. while I'm not a fan of the prohibition on Good Friday, my family used to run a pub in a small rural town and having a day where everyone closed, including the competition (and this was back in the days when a town of 700 could support 15 pubs!) allowed you to do things like getting the cigarette smoke stains on the celing painted over or varnishing the bar itself.. In places like the UK where the pubs tend to be run as managed business, then fine, stay open 365 days.. but we are lucky here that so many pubs are still small, family businesses that it's not too hard to accept one day in the year where they can get stuff done without fear of losing custom.
Fermenting: 'Happy Town' Red Ale
Conditioning:'I Will Dare' IPA, 'Left Of The Dial' Oatmeal Stout , 'Treatment Bound' Honey Ale
Drinking:'Repeater' Oatmeal Stout
mightymikeD
Beoir Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat