It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am

Text Size
Login

Good Friday

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby CDow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Does Beoir have an official stance on the licensing hours that operate here on Zgood Friday & Christmas Day?

I have no problem staying out of a pub on either day, or any other day, but I do like a choice and think that people should be free to exercise their own choices.
CDow
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:59 pm

I'd agree with that. Prohibition is wrong. But no, it's not something we've ever campaigned about.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby sbillings » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 am

I have to say I feel the same as CDow about this. I don't have a problem with staying out of the pub, but I don't like being told I'm not allowed to go to the pub. It's inconvenient, particularly with it being the Friday of a bank holiday weekend. The fact that it has its roots in a religion I don't happen to subscribe to doesn't make me feel any better about it either.

I like to make sure I have at least on beer and a serving of red meat on the day in question.
Fermentor: Nothing :(
Conditioning: Export Stout (8% Vol.) & Porter (5% Vol.)
Serving: Ale (4.5% Vol.)
sbillings
Site Admin

Postby kenmc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:11 am

I always try to get a brew done on bad friday. Also, there's usually a Leinster game in the RDS and the bars inside are open ( it's a private club :D ), and just in case I've a couple of cans of Punk IPA chilling in the fridge anyway. Add a burger from one of the on-site vendors, a Leinster bonus point win and voi-la, Great Friday!

But yes concur with above, there are many many days in the year when I don't go to the pub. Indeed there are many many - well ok - some - days in the year I don't even have a drink - like yesterday for example. But it should be MY choice. Not some archaic sky-fairy worshippers who get to decide what *I* do with *MY* time.
Planning:: Bad Friday IPA
Primary:: :(
Drinking:: Remains of xmas brew

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk.Alcoholics go to meetings
kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby noby » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 am

Crikey, Ken has risen from the dead!
noby
Beoir Member

Postby Rory » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:57 am

I think believers should feel free to observe the day however they see fit, but the state's role as it stands, curtailing everyone else by default, is pretty inappropriate.
Last edited by Rory on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:59 am

noby wrote:Crikey, Ken has risen from the dead!

I was thinking the same. Old school! :D
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby kenmc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 pm

haha yeah I remembered that I used come here sometimes once upon a time. But then I took up bike racing, and that got in the way of brewing and drinking. Then I had a baby and that got in the way of brewing and drinking and bike racing. So now I dunno what to do!

I figured that easter would be a good time for resurrection - I believe there's some sort of prior art?
Planning:: Bad Friday IPA
Primary:: :(
Drinking:: Remains of xmas brew

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk.Alcoholics go to meetings
kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Welcome back, Ken. I've also been largely absent from the front end of Beoir and brewing, but at least making inroads on the latter recently, getting my life back a bit :)

And back on topic, of course pubs should be allowed to open. Is Ireland the last country that has such a rule for good Friday?
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby TheBeerNut » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Barry M wrote:Is Ireland the last country that has such a rule for good Friday?
In Europe, I'd say so. I doubt many others broadcast the Angelus on national public TV and radio either. That's another anachronism that most people would agree is a bit silly but nobody really has the energy to stand up and get it changed.

Regarding Good Friday, if the pubs wanted it, it would have changed by now. It's a competition-free day off.
Beoir Chair

TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Diablo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:
Barry M wrote:Regarding Good Friday, if the pubs wanted it, it would have changed by now. It's a competition-free day off.

You'd think they'd campaign for Good Friday to be held on a Monday, rather than the busiest day of the week.

One of my local restaurants is doing BYO tomorrow within 100 metres of a Garda station. They seem to be unaware it's illegal. Will let y'all know if we get raided.
Diablo

Postby noby » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Diablo wrote:
TheBeerNut wrote:
Barry M wrote:Regarding Good Friday, if the pubs wanted it, it would have changed by now. It's a competition-free day off.

You'd think they'd campaign for Good Friday to be held on a Monday, rather than the busiest day of the week.

They'll probably make up for it between tonight and Saturday.

The one and only benefit is a hassle-free setup in the Franciscan Well tomorrow.
noby
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 pm

noby wrote:The one and only benefit is a hassle-free setup in the Franciscan Well tomorrow.
Admit it: you only started a brewery to get the Good Friday lock-in at the 'Well.
Beoir Chair

TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby noby » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm

A chance would be a fine thing. Double brew day tomorrow.
noby
Beoir Member

Postby Diablo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Barry M wrote: Is Ireland the last country that has such a rule for good Friday?

There is some voluntary observance in Northern Ireland. I was unable to buy alcohol in the tap room at Hilden last Good Friday.
Diablo

Next

Return to General Chat