It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Text Size
Login

Oliver Hughes RIP

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby TheBeerNut » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Just wanted to pay a quick tribute to Oliver Hughes, co-founder of the Porterhouse, who died suddenly last night. Aside from his tireless work to promote Irish craft beer against all the odds over the last two decades (he pretty much single-handedly brought about the 2005 tax break), he was a great friend to Beoir and Irish Craft Brewer before it. He was always generous with his time and never less than a witty, entertaining and downright educational speaker.

I can't imagine that the Porterhouse would have kept going without a very personal involvement from him, even as it expanded out into an international pub chain and distillery. It's actually hard to imagine the whole thing continuing to run without him, but I really hope it does. His death is a huge loss to the Irish beer scene.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby irish_goat » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 am

Sad news, never met him personally but always thought I would run into him at some stage. Had heard nothing but good things about the man so was looking forward to it.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Only just found out- I'm absolutely gutted. He was a gent and a pioneer. I last saw him in February when I was checking out Lillies for a party. The PR girl went to introduce me and Oliver shook my hand and said "don't worry, I've met this guy more than once."

Who knows what state the Irish Craft Beer scene would be in today without him.
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Return to General Chat