It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 am

Text Size
Login

The wheat trend

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby Merlin » Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 am

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to find craft IPAs of late that don't use wheat in the mix. This seems to have become a trend and it's not great for those of us with a wheat problem. As it is a known allergen it should also be clearly stated on the label and at tap. Some manufacturers don't even list ingredients. Doubly sinful!
Come on, lads. Improve the offering for wheat avoiders and label properly. Thanks

Merlin
Merlin

Postby TheBeerNut » Fri May 05, 2017 1:04 pm

I would guess that it's quite difficult to guarantee a beer as wheat-free if wheat is ever used at the brewery. You definitely couldn't do it on tap because the brewer has no control over what's in the lines. 9 White Deer's Kölsch, for example, is sold as gluten-free Stag Saor when bottled but the same beer is called Fia on draught, with no gluten-free statement, because the brewer can't guarantee it.

Totally agree on the ingredients listing, btw, and it's a pillar of Beoir's campaign. As well as no ingredients, there are beers with inaccurate ingredients listing out there too "Vanilla and Oatmeal Porter. Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast." Ah here...

Incidentally, I think the 9 White Deer Stag Saor IPA is really good, if you're looking for one that deffo won't have wheat in it.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby irish_goat » Fri May 05, 2017 2:26 pm

The head brewer of Trouble Brewing told me he can't stand wheat being used in IPAs so I'd guess most of their seasonal beers don't have it. As John says though, they brew wheat beer on the same kit so can't put it on the label.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby B-Hop » Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 am

Good thread.

Down with wheat!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10791
B-Hop

Postby Merlin » Sun May 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks, guys, for that info. There are IPAs there ok without wheat in the list of ingredients but the choice is pretty limited. I got a fright when I went checking! Gluten isn't really the issue. Many other products where wheat isn't an actual ingredient state if they are produced in a plant where wheat (or say, nuts) are also processed. This is acceptable. Beer could and should do the same.
merlin
Merlin

Postby kay » Thu May 11, 2017 11:40 am

Beer should have ingredients on the label and a warning in case of allergies.

What many have instead is a spiel about how Fionn MacCoul rode his horse through a field at the source of a river and thats why the beer tastes so good.

I'm not allergic to wheat but don't like the taste of it in beers. Also hate Bs marketing spiels on the labels.
kay

Postby TheBeerNut » Thu May 11, 2017 12:43 pm

kay wrote:Also hate Bs marketing spiels on the labels.
A-men!
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Saruman » Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Merlin, to be safe (and probably still not safe enough) I would suggest hoppy lagers as they are less likely to have wheat.

Funnily enough, Trouble uses wheat in their hoppy lager (Remix) but don't in most of their IPAs.

For instance, Vietnow has no wheat but Sabotage does.

More here.
Reuben Gray - Beoir Chairman

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer & brewing.
Twitter - @taleofale
Facebook
Breweryjobs.ie - Submit or look for a job in the brewing industry.
Saruman
Beoir Member

Return to General Chat