It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Text Size
Login

Nothing beer related, it's more important!

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby Norrebro » Sun May 14, 2017 9:27 pm

People, cyclist number 8 this year was killed on our roads today, thats 2 in the last week!!!!
Roads are for all vehicles equally, please respect the vulnerable.
Please follow the "Stayin Alive at 1.5metre" campaign on FB, and tweet Minister Ross to push through the Minimum Passing Distance Law into actual law.
Please do it.

Thanks,
Aaron
Norrebro
Beoir Member

Postby johnrm » Mon May 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Years ago a car that pulled out of a filling station without looking, I smacked into it with my bicycle and flew over the bonnet.
Motorcycling for 15 years also helped highlight the stupid drivers on the roads.
johnrm
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Tue May 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Cycling in/out of work, I usually have one "fun" encounter a weak. This morning it was a skip lorry who seem to think that it was okay to suddenly veer into the cycle lane without checking if it was in use first.
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby kay » Wed May 17, 2017 11:24 am

I agree plenty of bad drivers. I encounter people driving over many a white line while driving country roads. Well dangerous people out there with cars especially how comfortable and fast and easy to drive modern cars are. Many drivers are crap these days. Don't know how to keep tight in corners in rural roads.

But i also see many dangerous cyclists. I cycled for 15 years and always had a healthy respect for drivers whether they be good drivers or bad. Pretty much I'd expect bad drivers to be most dangerous obviously. But today I don't see that respect from cyclists. They seem to think they have equal rights to act as a car and use the road like a car.

The thing is they are not a car and face possible death by acting like a car. They go max 30-40 km an hour. And weigh a max 100 kg with rider.

If I saw a car doing that speed I'd say that is dangerously slow.

Cyclist don't have rear view mirrors. They are much smaller and so harder to spot compared to a car, esp if on front of a car. Cars crash into eachother all the time esp at junctions where dualers so bikes on the road are obviously gonna get involved in more and more accidents unless thee are attitude changes on both sides.

When I was a cyclist i would sometimes pull in at a funny junction. I would use a foot path at a dangerous stretch. I would slow down or stop if i felt in danger.

I don't see these behaviours from the modern cyclist. As in someone doing competitive training, all the gear like tour de france style. Proud of their right to act like a car. Well into the road from the yellow lines, never looking around, never pulling in to let traffic by. I see tractors pull in if they are a hold up, why not cyclists sometimes.

2 a breast is probably legal but is dangerous too. It is annoying for drivers to be stuck behind. Are you cycling or having a conversation? Then the cyclist waves me to go on. I'm like go single file and i'll pass you with out any trouble. Make an effort to not be so dangerous.

I will end up just going the same speed as the cyclist for a good bit until i see a straight stretch of road where there is totally no chance of on coming cars. I simply won't be flagged on when i can't see up the road as i'll be at fault esp on continuous white.

Would a team of cyclists like me to pass them and then slow down to a speed which they find slow and hold them up. I wouldn't think so. But teams of them do go at their leisure and hold up traffic.

Regarding cycle lanes. There have been many roads in my area which don't have a center broken line but have a cycle lane on both side. The road in between fits one car supposedly for 2 cars to pass. Who pays road tax again?

Other places the center line is there but again the cycle track cuts into the road space meaning i need to drive in the cycle lane in order to get up the road.

Deaths of cyclists will probably continue, but I know if i was a cyclist I'd be a lot more careful than many I see. It is a leisure activity and great for health and seeing the country but the roads are not built for cars and bikes. I would love to see proper foot paths on many roads or hard shoulders. And I'd like to see cyclists be a bit more safe on the roads and cars be much more safe on the roads.
kay

Postby Taf » Wed May 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Regularly see 4 a breast cycling on weekends around Cork Country roads. They never pull in, as obviously racing for time. Impossible to pass them, often for 5 miles or more. I have much compassion for the commuter cyclist, but these weekend racers really piss me off.
Taf
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 pm

kay wrote:Who pays road tax again?
Nobody. There's no such thing.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby kay » Wed May 17, 2017 3:02 pm

I should have said and was speaking of motor tax. It only applies to people with cars driving on public roads, so why i called it road tax..

"Liability for motor tax arises when a vehicle is used in a public place/road."

Squeezing some already small roads into something with 2 bike lanes doesn't make sense to me.
kay

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed May 17, 2017 3:16 pm

kay wrote:Squeezing some already small roads into something with 2 bike lanes doesn't make sense to me.
It may not, but motor tax doesn't pay for the roads, nor does it give motorists extra say in how the roads are laid out or used. Just drive carefully and be courteous to other road users.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Fri May 19, 2017 12:33 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:
kay wrote:Who pays road tax again?
Nobody. There's no such thing.

Well, if the question is, who pays for the roads- everyone does, it comes out of general taxation. What motorists pay is know as a Vehicle Emissions Tax, it's collected in order to be used to combat pollution created by combustion engines. I would be happy to be taxed on the emissions my bike creates...
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby Anton » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I definitely support the call for a 1.5m passing distance for cycles rule.

I'd also love to see the same courtesy extended to pedestrians by cyclists, though. Red lights at pedestrian crossings apply to cyclists as much as cars. Why someone thinks it's not ok to go through a red light in their car, but if they're on a bike, it's fine, I don't know... Likewise, footpaths. If you need to take your bike onto one, fine, get off your bike. Using the pedestrian walkway at the Stephen's Green Luas works (about 1.5 people wide in parts!) at least twice daily, there'll be some muppet on a bike cycling along it every time. Irony - there's a "Give cyclists room" sign stuck up on the works fence...
Anton
Beoir Member

Return to General Chat