It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 am

Text Size
Login

Johnnie Bongos' Brewspace...

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby andrew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Here's an interesting looking Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jo ... reator_nav
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 pm

You have to wonder who they reckon is the market for something like this. People who've never heard of TOG?
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Kinda what I thought. Plus TOG membership fees are a lot lower than €900 a year.
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Well there's something to work towards :D
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:You have to wonder who they reckon is the market for something like this. People who've never heard of TOG?

But they're also running this as a business so surely revenue, Dublin COCO will all need to be involved too
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 pm

I'd have thought they'd need a commercial brewing licence, and maybe they're getting one. Though I'd also have thought the Artisan Brew Academy would need one, and they're still going without.
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Probably haven't come up on there radar, bongos is quite active with the kickstarter promotion.
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby jamm222 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Lads

Johnnie here from JohnnieBongos Brewery. We arent competing with TOG our space is just for brewing. We believe there are 3 markets:
1: people who like craft beer and would like to learn how to brew
2: experienced home brewers who would like to brew with other home brewers using high quality stainless steel equipment and Fermenters(we will have a fermentation room and a nice place to hang out)
3: Corporate team building days, brewing beer for christmas party etc...

Our membership covers up to 5 people so the €900 kickstarter offer which is limited just to kickstarter would only cost each person €15 each per month. Members would have access to a 50 litre conical fermenter that they fill twice a month. Ingredients/bottles/kegs are extra.

Any other questions please give me a shout.

Thanks

Johnnie
jamm222

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Johnnie! Are you getting a commercial brewers' licence for the facility?
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby jamm222 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Yes we are working on that as we speak.
What are your thoughts on what we are doing, I would love to get some feedback.
Thanks
Johnnie
jamm222

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Personally I think the crowd-funding ship has sailed. You need a really good offer to make it fly these days and I just can't see there being the market for this. It leaves you with a lot of work to do after you've paid in order to get any return.

Regarding the facility itself, I've been hanging around with homebrewers and the homebrew-curious for about ten years and I've never met someone who wanted access to a system like this. Anyone who's serious enough to put the money in for it will already have built their own kit. You lose some of the thrill of making your own beer if you're doing it at a commercial premises on an industrial estate; and if all you want is access to the beer then it's a lot easier and safer to just buy it. On a larger scale you can get someone like Craftworks or an established brewer to contract brew it.

Sorry to be a downer. I hope I'm wrong!
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby jamm222 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 am

Hey man,
Thanks for the feedback. I completely understand what you are saying. Where we will be different is:
1. We are looking to teach people how to brew, we will provide the space, equipment, ingredients(pay extra) and the knowledge to brew a 40 litre batch of all grain beer.
2. Our facility will be kitted out with 3 faze power, a cleaning area, 6 brew stations and most importantly a fermentation chamber where our conical fermenters will be stored in a temperature controlled environment.
3. Crowd funding is tough but its working, we have raised 2k so far, our campaign is only getting going.
4. to address this 'Anyone who's serious enough to put the money in for it will already have built their own kit.' There are a lot of people who dont know how to do this or arent willing to invest in a system for something that they are only trying for the first time. Personally i used a kit the first time i started brewing years ago and the beer tasted so bad that it put me off for years. As soon as i tried Bongos all grain beer it was a different gig completely.
5. our rates are cheap enough that an experienced homebrewer that cant afford a conical or the equipment to do a bigger batch could drop in and use our system.
6. this model is big in London, check out http://www.ubrew.cc they have a waiting list for members.

Our building is in North Strand, its a very central location.
I would love to send you some beer that we made and invite you to JohnnieBongos Brewery to brew with us someday .

All the best

Johnnie
jamm222

Postby andrew » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am

Question- you say that membership covers 5 people- does that mean that they can brew 5 different beers at the same time?
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Johnnie

It would be worth posting this on your site for potential investors. Also if you have all the appropriate licenses and such there nothing stopping you approaching pubs , pub groups and business to do one off or bespoke beers from them too. An there the potential of availing of the new tap room laws as well.

jamm222 wrote:Yes we are working on that as we speak.
What are your thoughts on what we are doing, I would love to get some feedback.
Thanks
Johnnie

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby jamm222 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:21 pm

@Andy
the way it works is that each member is assigned a 53 litre (14 us gallon) stainless steel fermenter, they can fill this twice a month so an ideal scenario is that they brew, come back 2 weeks later, bottle, then brew again and so on. each member can bring 4 friends with them to help them brew, you will be assigned a brew station and can buy all the ingredients that you need from us. You will have access to grain mills, plate chillers and everything else that you need.
jamm222

Next

Return to General Chat