It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Text Size
Login

Closing the Gate

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby Poc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:44 pm

I was in Kilkenny at the weekend and seen this article in the local scandal sheet and was put in mind of this thread...

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/ViewArticl ... ID=2975118

Seems like Dublin isn't the only spot that could be potentially losing a brewery, where will we get our Budweiser from now?
Poc

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 pm

Poc wrote:where will we get our Budweiser from now?

Balbriggan or Dundalk, I'd've thought.

production is likely to shift to Eastern Europe at that time

That doesn't make sense. When you have a product that is almost entirely water, economics dictates that you make it close to the market. (This is one of the few things I remember from GCSE geography. There's an equation and everything.) The cost of hefting kegs of mostly-water all the way across Europe has to be more than making the stuff in Ireland.
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Budweiser is brewed in Kilkenny, have that a form company secretary and Kilkenny (the beer) was not originally brewed in Kilkenny!
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 pm

*Bump*

Just noticed that the Corpo have decided to fight the move of Guinness out of the city. The motionpassed on 19th November says (item 3):
Dublin City Council wrote:This Committee agrees that the City Council should take a more interventionist stance on the city’s economy in general and in this context commence a policy position which includes as a key objective the retention of Guinness as its historic site. Such a policy position would help towards safeguarding the capital’s industrial employment and its cultural tourism status. And that an all party group of Councillors seek a meeting with Diageo to discuss the review of the company’s brewing operations in Ireland in light of the implications, economic, cultural and historical, for the city of Dublin should the St. James Gate Brewery close.

Presumably the prospect of a Corpo delegation will have the Diageo execs quaking. I am surprised, however, that they aren't itching to get control over this vast tract of real estate.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby noby » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Perhaps that's just to be seen to be doing something.
noby
Beoir Member

Postby rossa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:51 pm

A friend of the family was a master brewer in guinness until about 4 years ago. he joined as a kid and worked his way up. when Diagio came on board the place changed and they started not giving a shite about employees and wondering why the hell they bought this brewery that was losing money and drinkers. he called it the black pearl in the Diagio necklace. he left because of the squeeze they put on the employees...virtually letting most of the staff go. Guinnes wasnt a family business anymore. the feel good factor was gone. at the end of the day they wanted profits and they are gonna try everything to get them. thay have no sentiment. no loyalty to customers. they spend foolish amounts on ad campaigns. is this the guiness of Dublin.....or a massive company with no face?...well he left and his son left soon after and it was fairly common knowledge that the company had bought a big plot in Balbriggan and were gonna sell in the next ten years or less.Balbriggan is still in Dublin so they would not lose the county name.....not that it would really affect peoples choice at the bar...as the price hikes have shown over the last 5 years....it used to cost me 2.05 in the army mess for a pint in 2002. its about 2.50-2.55 now. thats with little to no profit. will raising prices help profits? doubt it . i stopped drinking it and much prefere the change from my Beamish.
if Guinness was a family business based in the heart of Dublin, producing a consistant quality pint ( actually thats unfair as all guiness in the factory is as good as it gets....they have lads who drink it for a living...in the kegging plant every half hour) maybe we would feel they are betraying us but its a faceless multinational thats doesnt really give a shite about us or anything else bar profit and share prices.
Kegged:
Medium bore Pale ale
A Galaxy of Diamonds Pacific Pale ale
Britas Bay Ale (Hobgoblin type thing)
Dubbel-in Time
Schmoked Stoutly
Small Bore Bitter
Primary:

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
rossa
Beoir Member

Postby Bog_Myrtle » Thu May 08, 2008 8:27 pm

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0508/guinness.html
Announcement tomorrow morning. This will be interesting... My bets are that they'll move.
Bubbling: Wheat beer, Raspberry Mead

http://aranbrew.blogspot.com
Adventures in brewing and knitting
Bog_Myrtle

Postby oblivious » Thu May 08, 2008 8:32 pm

yea, look like it alright :(
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby dereko1969 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:26 am

which also manufacturers Smithwicks, Kilkenny and Harp.
says it all that!
dereko1969
Beoir Member

Postby noby » Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 am

dereko1969 wrote:which also manufacturers Smithwicks, Kilkenny and Harp.
says it all that!

I think you're nit-picking over the choice of a journalists word there.

Not looking good for the workers in Waterford, Dundalk and Kilkenny, by the sounds of it.
noby
Beoir Member

Postby kenmc » Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 am

Diageo has said it will close breweries in Kilkenny and Dundalk after a review of its Irish businesses, but brewing will continue at St James's Gate in Dublin.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0509/guinness.html
Planning:: Bad Friday IPA
Primary:: :(
Drinking:: Remains of xmas brew

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk.Alcoholics go to meetings
kenmc
Beoir Member

Postby noby » Fri May 09, 2008 9:46 am

Diageo estimates that the sale of property and lands in Dundalk and Kilkenny will raise €500m.

Wow. How much land do they have in Dundalk and Kilkenny?
noby
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Fri May 09, 2008 9:52 am

the Kilkenny site is a nice one right in the heart of the cite/

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Fri May 09, 2008 12:09 pm

I just got a mail from Guinness (as I had signed up for free cans through he Poker Nights thing) about the announced plans. Contents below:

For almost 300 years Ireland has created some of the world's most brilliant brews. Today we announce a €650 million plan to secure that reputation for centuries more.

St. James's Gate, the historic home of the Black Stuff, is to get a whole new lease of life.

Arthur Guinness's brewery will be upgraded and enhanced but the passion, craftsmanship and the finest quality ingredients we fuse to create your favorite pint will always stay the same. As we approach the 250th anniversary of brewing in this unique place, you can look forward to your GUINNESS coming 'straight from the gate' for a long, long time to come.

The plans don't stop there. As well as improving the home of Ireland's most famous pint, over the next five years we're also going to build Ireland's largest brewery yet to satisfy growing worldwide demand for Uncle Arthur's finest. The rich history, heritage and craftsmanship behind all our brilliant brews will be drawn on to create a world-class centre of brewing excellence in the greater Dublin area by 2013. This great new brewery will also produce our famous ales and lagers.

Sadly, our other breweries in both Kilkenny and Dundalk are just too small to accommodate our ambitious plans and these will be wound down in 2013 when the new brewery is complete. It goes without mention that every care will be given to reduce any impact to staff and to ensure future developments reflect the history and heritage of these remarkable sites.

It's going to be an exciting time ahead but we believe the great man himself would be proud. Marrying this exciting investment with Ireland's unique brewing tradition and expertise is a recipe that can only lead to success.

Slainté,
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby oblivious » Fri May 09, 2008 12:58 pm

just hear on the radio, that Diageo still plans to build a brewer in clondalkin but keep brewing at St James gate for the Irish and UK market. but they also intend to sell of some of the land.

I wounder down the road will we be told St James gate is no longer economically viable and make the move out to clondalkin?

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

oblivious
Beoir Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat