It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 am

Text Size
Login

Obtaining distilling license

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby Tube » Sat May 28, 2011 11:43 am

That 1800L limit really is a barrier to entry.

Time to lobby the minister and argue it's stifling the creation of jobs and the betterment of our small nation.
Tube

Postby DEMPSEY » Sat May 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Whats the story with the Scottish set up,they seem to have a very large number of small distillery,s.
DEMPSEY

Postby Bruceleesgran » Sat May 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Scotland has a minimum still size of about 1800 as well although you can obtain dispensation. The Scottish company Im dealing with about buying a still stated this
Bruceleesgran
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 pm

England (and therefore Wales) has the 1800L limit aswell afaik, hence the lack of English Whisky/Whiskey.

Regards a lobby group. Not sure if this falls within Beoir's remit, I suspect it doesn't, in which case there really is a need for an organisation that will represent this type of small industry's best interested.
Tube

Postby TheBeerNut » Sat May 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Tube wrote:Not sure if this falls within Beoir's remit
It doesn't because the mechanics of whiskey production is a minefield. I'm told it's pretty much impossible to trace provenance reliably.

Tube wrote:there really is a need for an organisation that will represent this type of small industry's best interested
Have you tried the Irish Whiskey Society? I get the impression they're not interested in separating "craft" whiskey from industrial whiskey because the lines are impossibly blurred.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:
Tube wrote:Not sure if this falls within Beoir's remit
It doesn't because the mechanics of whiskey production is a minefield. I'm told it's pretty much impossible to trace provenance reliably.

Tube wrote:there really is a need for an organisation that will represent this type of small industry's best interested
Have you tried the Irish Whiskey Society? I get the impression they're not interested in separating "craft" whiskey from industrial whiskey because the lines are impossibly blurred.

By putting a definition on what "craft" is, you can separate craft from (what you're rightly calling) industrial whiskey by a simple change in the law. It happened in microbrewing: Under a certain amount you're craft, over it and you're not.

The actual changes in law are the easy bit (if Brian Cowen can...) -- it's the lobbying to get the changes made that's the hard bit. Not so much the hard bit really, as currently it's nobody's job because the craft whiskey industry doesn't exist...

You could say in essence there is no whiskey equivalent of the Porterhouse (who lobbied Brian Cowen successfully).

In the absence of a well-formed vested interest to do the lobbying, there is a need for someone to step up to plate and get the whiskey laws reformed too.

My 2c.
Tube

Postby TheBeerNut » Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 am

Tube wrote:you can separate craft from (what you're rightly calling) industrial whiskey by a simple change in the law. It happened in microbrewing: Under a certain amount you're craft, over it and you're not.
In beer, we can generally assume that all the beer brewed under one brand is produced at a particular brewery. The same does not apply with distilleries. Just because it's a Cooley brand on the label does not mean that some of the whiskey in the bottle hasn't been through the facilities at Midleton or Bushmills or both at some point.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Sun May 29, 2011 8:57 am

TheBeerNut wrote:In beer, we can generally assume that all the beer brewed under one brand is produced at a particular brewery. The same does not apply with distilleries. Just because it's a Cooley brand on the label does not mean that some of the whiskey in the bottle hasn't been through the facilities at Midleton or Bushmills or both at some point.

That's really an issue for the Revenue to decide the practicalities of. It can be done.
Tube

Postby Bruceleesgran » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 am

The porterhouse must be lobbying for change. Because if i understand it seen like they don't actually conform to the law by having stills below the 1800l size (i recently was told they purchased 500l still). So for it to be legal their either has to be another law we don't know about or its about to be changed.
Bruceleesgran
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 am

S.I. No. 379 of 2004

Section 5

(2) A premises or place may only be approved as a distillery where it contains a still of a capacity of not less than 1800 litres.

(3) The Commissioners may waive the requirement under paragraph (2) where they are satisfied that exceptional circumstances apply.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0379.html

Smaller than 1800L can be done, but there's red tape. Red tape that Enda Kenny said he wants rid of. IMHO there needs to be someone lobbying for a permanent change to this law and that a new category of micro-distillery be defined as distilling less than 1800L but more than something sufficiently small to be artisan like 300L, with tax breaks similar to those for micro-breweries. In light of Enda Kenny's remarks now would be a very good time to lobby.
Tube

Postby Bruceleesgran » Sun May 29, 2011 7:01 pm

According to my local revenue guy. The exception is if you are already an approved distilled and you need to replace a still and its smaller because of financial difficulties etc etc.
Bruceleesgran
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Sun May 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Exceptional circumstances could be anything I would imagine... like it's either set up a distillery or go on the dole.

I wouldn't let someone in the Revenue put me off. I'd harrang anyone and everyone.
Tube

Postby Bruceleesgran » Sun May 29, 2011 8:35 pm

I am bugging the arse off him.i asked him to explain why the porterhouse have a 500l still.
I should have an answer this week.
Bruceleesgran
Beoir Member

Postby Con Con » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 pm

I saw the porterhouse one a couple months back. Being the one who started this thread I should be shot for not asking how they got around it while I was there. It just occured to me now
Con Con

Postby Langerofcobh » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Sorry to bring this this post back from the dead but has anyone any new insight into obtaining a distillery licence?
Langerofcobh

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat