It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 am

Text Size
Login

Doing a pirate brew and getting your beer into a bar

Just starting out with your first brew? Or just want to talk brewing in general? This is the forum you're looking for.

Postby onemanorthree » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:21 pm

So I was wondering how easy is it to do this?

I have no contact in bars, except the ones I drink in in Dublin. I don't really know any breweries that will do a pirate beer but I imagine they're about. I was given rough costs from a guy who's done it and it's something I can afford. I wont be doing this alone.

Is it a common thing to do? I imagine the hardest part is getting the beer into a bar. Anyway just looking for some info to kick it off.
onemanorthree

Postby irish_goat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Breweries in Ireland would call a "pirate brew" a "contract brew". Your best bet would be to try and chat to someone else who is contract brewing and see if they can point you in the right direction.
You can find a list of current contract brewers here.

I interviewed Cameron Wallace from Eight Degrees a few years ago and he said they would only do a contract brew for someone who was serious about craft beer and looking to start their own place. So probably wouldn't do a oneoff brew. Although, in saying that, they don't do contract brewing anymore. There might be other breweries who only care about getting paid and not about your intentions though.

Getting into a bar is easy if the beer is good enough to sell. Your major concern might be not shifting it quick enough if it's a beer that's best drunk fresh. Really depends on how big a batch you brew as well though.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:40 am

I could be worth having a chat with 9 white deer, they advertise that they had some space free for contract brewing.

I would also contact other contract brewers, as i know of one that revenue where having issue about the licence they held as they where beer selling directly and know to the contract brewery.
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby onemanorthree » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Sorry, yes, I meant a contract brew. When you say it's easy to get it into a bar, there are plenty of people that must want to do this but very few people have made the move, why do you think that is?

Also, how is the bar going to know if it's good or not, if you're keging all? Is there a pilot brew done first as standard?
onemanorthree

Postby nigel_c » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Hope were also advertising space for contract in the last few weeks.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:03 am

onemanorthree wrote:there are plenty of people that must want to do this but very few people have made the move, why do you think that is?
You don't make much money at it. You're buying the beer from the brewery at the wholesale price and selling it on also at the wholesale price: the space to add margin is very limited. People usually do it as a temporary measure to build their brand and get product out there while they're arranging their own brewery.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Brewgal » Wed May 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Does anyone know a good contract brewery in Dublin? Craftworks recently became BYOB ventures, but I don't know anything about any others :?
Brewgal
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Wed May 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Hope have a lot of brewspace and are interested in contracts. Third Barrel might be interested too...
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby irish_goat » Thu May 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Rascals do some contract and so does Trouble Brewing, if Kildare isn't too far away.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Return to General Brewing Chat