It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 am

Text Size
Login

My temp controller toy.

Just starting out with your first brew? Or just want to talk brewing in general? This is the forum you're looking for.

Postby nigel_c » Fri May 15, 2015 2:41 pm

A while back I discovered these chillers while drooling over the brewjacket immersion chiller. Basically these allow you lager without taking up valuable fridge space. They lower the temperature of the brew to lager fermentation temps by means of a thermoelectric chiller.
The brewjacket system is a crazy price so I decided to go with the IceProbe after doing some research.
http://www.novatecproducts.com/iceprobe.htm

It is a self contained chilling system that in is easily installed with only the need to drill 1.25 inch hole.

The specs claim one can maintain a temperature differential of up to 20F (6.5c) in a 10 gallon aquarium (yes they are aquarium coolers that are also used in water coolers and are food safe). I brew 5gallon batches so should be perfect.

The power supply that comes with it is rated for 120v so I had to get a new one.
I insulated the fermenter and added a temp controller and it quite happily fermented a Pilsner and a Munich Denkel over the last few months.

Im really happy with it and it should be great once summer kicks it. I'm brewing an Altbier today and it will be used to ferment at 17c.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby baconsarnie » Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Cost? I'm being lazy but I can't see it on the link (granted I'm using a phone so it could be right there & I may not have seen it)

Looks very interesting
Primary: NZ IPA, West Coast IPA
Secondary:
Conditioning: Spring 2019 Lambics
Keezer & drinking: SNPA clone, Summer Saison, Belgian Blonde and Mosaic Pale ale
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Fri May 15, 2015 3:46 pm

very intresting

how long did they take to drop the then to 10c?

And how much did it cost
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Fri May 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Would you need circulation in the liquid to be effective?
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby nigel_c » Fri May 15, 2015 4:09 pm

I got it off amazon for about $120 so including shipping from states and new power supply about €150.
I know i could have picked up a fridge for that but I really am restricted in what space I have. I got it for the small foot print it will take up.
I've pitched at around 18c after immersion chiller and pack it away.
It'll have dropped down to around 12 by the next morning. I have it set up to temp controller set to 10 but the lowest I've seen it hot is 11.2c . That is packed under my kitchen table so ambient temp around 20c. I'm pleased with it. Just more toys to play with really and who doesn't want a fermenter that looks like a Dalek.

The cooling and movement of the the yeast doing its thing would be enough to keep the liquid moving.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Fri May 15, 2015 4:13 pm

nigel_c wrote:I know i could have picked up a fridge for that but I really am restricted in what space I have. I got it for the small foot print it will take up.

Yeah certainly good for people with a lack of space

this is really cool, two probes on a conical :)
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby nigel_c » Fri May 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Yeah I've seen a lot of conical fitted with them.
Not just for lagers though. 2nd and crash cooling or just keeping a nice pale ale at 18c in the middle of the summer when everyone else is stuck brewing Belgians and Saisons.
Nice clean fermentation temps for competitions as well.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Sun May 17, 2015 11:31 am

Just thinking- would it be better to mount the unit nearer the top of the fermenter, given the old "heat rises; cold falls" maxim...
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby nigel_c » Sun May 17, 2015 11:43 am

Probably. Live and learn.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby DCBrewing » Sun May 17, 2015 1:45 pm

So what exact power supply did you buy and what do you have to diy exactly to get it working?

Well done on the purchase and review
DCBrewing
Beoir Member

Return to General Brewing Chat