It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Text Size
Login

Irish Mead

Got a recipe for a nice black cherry burgundy? Got an opinion on a yeast that you just have to share? This is the place for you.

Postby Harryh9 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Hey All,
Is Bunratty Meade the only commercial mead manufactured in Ireland today?
Apparently Rabbits Foot is being imported from USA. Has anyone experienced it?
I am interested to know why we dont make and sell more meade - especially as we seem to have a tradition/history of it?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers,

H
Harryh9

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 am

Harryh9 wrote:Is Bunratty Meade the only commercial mead manufactured in Ireland today?
Yes, and it's a pyment (honey-flavoured wine) rather than a true mead.

Harryh9 wrote:Apparently Rabbits Foot is being imported from USA. Has anyone experienced it?
Yes, it's really good. But I think California Wine Imports have stopped carrying it. I got one on special order a few months ago, but apparently it was one of just two bottles that were hanging around the warehouse.

Harryh9 wrote:I am interested to know why we dont make and sell more meade
It's hideously expensive to make. As with Irish cider, getting people to pay a reasonable price to cover the cost of production is difficult.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Harryh9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:It's hideously expensive to make. As with Irish cider, getting people to pay a reasonable price to cover the cost of production is difficult.

I presume it the cost of the honey thats prohibitive? Or why else would it be any more costly than beer making?

H
Harryh9

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Harryh9 wrote:Or why else would it be any more costly than beer making?
Beer is ready for sale in weeks. Mead takes months.
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Biertourist » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:10 pm

TheBeerNut wrote:
Harryh9 wrote:Or why else would it be any more costly than beer making?
Beer is ready for sale in weeks. Mead takes months.

And the cost of real Irish honey is expensive. (And there has been and continues to be plenty of faux Irish honey.)

Honey everywhere is expensive but Irish honey seems especially so. (and personally, I enjoy honey as honey probably more than mead.)

I haven't found any real exciting meads that I can say "that's great value for the money".

Apple Honey Pancakes:
1 Cup flour, 1 Cup milk, 1 course grated apple, 1 egg, a dash of salt, pinch of cinnamon --mix and pour into a pan or large griddle until the bubbles stop popping and flip to the other side

-Cover with honey and a big spoon of natural yoghurt

--I've not found a mead that can compete with those Apple Honey pancakes so I find it hard to use expensive honey for anything else.

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Kinsale Mead » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi all,
We are Kinsale Mead Co and we have recently opened the doors of our new Meadery here in Kinsale, Co. Cork.
We currently have two Meads for sale;

1). Atlantic Dry Mead---> This is a delicious traditional mead, made from raw Spanish orange blossom honey and local Innishannon water, fermented and matured to finish at 12% with lovely citrus aroma and long lingering hint of honey with almost no sweetness. We wonder if over time the salty air from the wild atlantic will add its own unique flavours to our mead.

2). Wild Red Mead--->This is a refreshing melomel made from spanish forest honey blend, blackcurrants and cherries to create an amazingly enticing drink with beautiful colour, zesty fruity flavour, tempered with the hint of honey. Wild Red is in honour of Kinsale’s famous red headed pirate Anny Bonny who was born close to the high cliffs by the Old Head.

If anyone has any questions we will try to reply as fast as possible or you can contact us directly and find out more through our website: http://www.kinsalemeadco.ie/

In the meadtime ;)
All the best,
Kinsale Mead Co.
Kinsale Mead

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks for stopping by. It's great that we have proper Irish mead now. I see Celtic Whiskey has it in stock so I'll be picking some up there.
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Kinsale Mead » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Great to hear you will be picking some up!
We are delighted to have our Mead on the Irish Market and every day we are improving, expanding and making sure every bottle is made to perfection.
Let us know your thoughts onve you get your hands on some!
Kinsale Mead

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am

I got what I think may have been the last Atlantic Dry in Celtic Whiskey, and they had no Wild Red left. Looks like a restock is required.
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Kinsale Mead » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks for that, we have arranged a re stock,
We hope you enjoy the Atlantic Dry!
James.
Kinsale Mead

Return to Making Other Craft Brews