It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Text Size
Login

Mead recipes and experience

Got a recipe for a nice black cherry burgundy? Got an opinion on a yeast that you just have to share? This is the place for you.

Postby Les_Howarth » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:30 am

Wobbler wrote:Making mead seems like a worthwhile project. The only thing is, that I've never tasted any. It would be terrible, if after making it, to discover I didn't like it.

If you like honey, you'll probably like mead.

The only commercial honey I've tasted is Lindisfarne mead (which I won by having a loud laugh! :lol: ) which is a pleasant sweet mead, but I've not seen many other meads available in the UK. If you want to try a range of the possibilities then probably the best way is to do it yourself.

Cheers, Les
Les_Howarth

Postby microgirl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:35 pm

If anyone wants a decent mead, I'll be heading over to England at the end of August for a LRP event (damn shame I didn't see this thread last week, as I was over for another event last weekend) and could probably pick up a few bottles of Moniack Mead. Gold-standard as far as I'm concerned, but then I haven't actually tried that many meads, and the ones I have have probably mostly been the aforementioned honeyed wines, rather than true meads.

Moniack literally tastes like liquidier (perfectly cromulent word), alcoholic honey. It's divine.

There is a new (not so good) bar at the event though, so they may not have Moniack, but they'll have one or two other meads if they don't have that one.

Les - very interested in your Hypocras. Tell me more! :) The recipe I got from a French friend who makes it for his LRP in France is basically just a cold mulled wine. I'd love to get some advice on how to make a hypocras from scratch as opposed to spicing up shop-bought wine. (though it it takes so long to prepare and age it looks like I'll still be doing it that way for the Gathering in August :))
microgirl

Postby Les_Howarth » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:34 pm

microgirl wrote:Les - very interested in your Hypocras. Tell me more! :)

It is from Boots Home Wine Making and Brewing by Ben Turner which will be long out of print. The recipe for 1 gal is:
2lb blended honey
1 pint red grape juice concentrate (although I used rose and I think it would work well with white)
0.25 oz Citric acid
0.25 oz Bruised root ginger
0.25 tsp Tannin
6 Cloves
1 Nutrient tablet
Bodeaux yeast
6 pints water

Dissolve honey and grape juice in warm water. When cool add tannin, citric acid, yeast and spices in muslin bag. Ferment for 1 week then remove herbs. Finish the mead slightly sweet.

Cheers, Les
Les_Howarth

Postby Ichiban » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:10 pm

microgirl wrote:If anyone wants a decent mead, I'll be heading over to England at the end of August for a LRP event (damn shame I didn't see this thread last week, as I was over for another event last weekend) and could probably pick up a few bottles of Moniack Mead. Gold-standard as far as I'm concerned, but then I haven't actually tried that many meads, and the ones I have have probably mostly been the aforementioned honeyed wines, rather than true meads.

Hi Microgirl, that's very generous of you offering to bring back some mead. And I'd like to take you up on that offer! I'm always on the look out for commercial mead and I don't believe I've ever tried the Moniack before. It would be most appreciated, thanks.

Perhaps I can give you a sample of my own mead when we meet?

PS What's a LPR event?
Ichiban

Postby microgirl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Les_Howarth wrote:<snip> Hypocras recipe </snip>

Cool. Thanks, Les :)
microgirl

Postby microgirl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Ichiban wrote:Hi Microgirl, that's very generous of you offering to bring back some mead. And I'd like to take you up on that offer! I'm always on the look out for commercial mead and I don't believe I've ever tried the Moniack before. It would be most appreciated, thanks.

NP - it's not that terribly expensive, and since in all likelihood I'll be bringing the car over, carting a few bottles back isn't any great effort :)

Perhaps I can give you a sample of my own mead when we meet?

That would be brilliant, thanks :)

PS What's a LPR event?

LRP - Live RolePlay, also known as Live Action RolePlay or Larp. Dressing up in silly clothes pretending to be elves/dwarves/evil magicians and thwacking people with foam-rubber swords. I don't limit my geeking to beer :D
microgirl

Postby freedgull » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:00 pm

I made my 2nd batch of mead last week. This time I made straight traditional mead. I used oranges and spices in my first...

My recipe went like this

500g Eucalyptus honey (I wish I had read this thread first - see Les' post)
360g Thyme Honey
340g Pure Wexford Honey

4 litres of water

1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutient
Lavins All Purpose Wine Yeast

Hoping I get something interesting...
freedgull
Beoir Member

Postby Ichiban » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:37 am

That's the great thing about mead though! The fact is you will get something interesting but to find out exactly how interesting will take patience and a little self belief! And besides, the taste can always be altered at bottling time with a little bit of this and a little of that. Try a spoon of vanilla liquer, Baileys, whiskey, whatever.
Ichiban

Postby bigvalen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:46 pm

microgirl wrote:..as I was over for another event last weekend) and could probably pick up a few bottles of Moniack Mead. Gold-standard as far as I'm concerned, but then I haven't actually tried that many meads, and the ones I have have probably mostly been the aforementioned honeyed wines, rather than true meads.

I only spotted this post today...

Moniack is a pretty revolting mead. It's shockin' sweet. If you drink three or four bottles, the cloying sweetness rips every last bit of moisture from your throat.

Personal taste, of course, but a mead that tastes like honey is as bad as a wine that tastes of grapes. There are also apple wines, which have honey added after the fact. They are even worse; Lindisfarne and Bunratty would be examples of these.

The only good mead I've come across in the UK is the Isle of Bute stuff, and even that was slightly sweet. http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com have the best stuff I've ever tasted; I highly recommend their pricey 'Mead of Poetry' if you like sweet stuff.

Les - very interested in your Hypocras. Tell me more! :) The recipe I got from a French friend who makes it for his LRP in France is basically just a cold mulled wine. I'd love to get some advice on how to make a hypocras from scratch as opposed to spicing up shop-bought wine. (though it it takes so long to prepare and age it looks like I'll still be doing it that way for the Gathering in August :))

As far as I know, Hippocras was usually done with old wine, to make it more palatable. Unfortified medieval wines rarely kept longer than a year due to bad hygiene & storage problems. It might be worth asking on http://livinghistory.ie - lot of the guys there make strange and wonderful brews.

The big problem with making up a 'real' hippocras is getting the spices. Some are pretty demented, like "grains of paradise" and "long peppers". See http://www.historicfood.com/Ypocras.htm for details.

John
bigvalen

Postby Kinsale Mead » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 am

Hi all,
We are Kinsale Mead Co and we have recently opened the doors of our new Meadery here in Kinsale, Co. Cork.
We currently have two Meads for sale;

1). Atlantic Dry Mead---> This is a delicious traditional mead, made from raw Spanish orange blossom honey and local Innishannon water, fermented and matured to finish at 12% with lovely citrus aroma and long lingering hint of honey with almost no sweetness. We wonder if over time the salty air from the wild atlantic will add its own unique flavours to our mead.

2). Wild Red Mead--->This is a refreshing melomel made from spanish forest honey blend, blackcurrants and cherries to create an amazingly enticing drink with beautiful colour, zesty fruity flavour, tempered with the hint of honey. Wild Red is in honour of Kinsale’s famous red headed pirate Anny Bonny who was born close to the high cliffs by the Old Head.

Our Meads are available in the following places in this link; https://www.kinsalemeadco.ie/stockists/

If anyone has any questions we will try to reply as fast as possible or you can contact us directly and find out more through our website: http://www.kinsalemeadco.ie/

In the meadtime :wink:
All the best,
Kinsale Mead Co.
Kinsale Mead

Postby bigvalen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Ah, that's wonderful to see an Irish company making mead. Also, loving that you have a dry one, rather than the super-sweet modern Eastern-European ones.

My lunch break will be grabbing a bottle from one of the nearby stockists!
bigvalen

Previous

Return to Making Other Craft Brews