It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Text Size
Login

Cider making course with David Llewellyn

Got a recipe for a nice black cherry burgundy? Got an opinion on a yeast that you just have to share? This is the place for you.

Postby TheBeerNut » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:49 am

David just announced on Twitter he'll be running a course at his place in Lusk on 12 November

Cidermaking date decided: 12th Nov, Lusk. Hands-on apple pressing + all u need to know + lunch + take home ur own cider. Numbers limited

I'd say it'll book out really quickly, so if anyone's interested I'd advise making contact ASAP.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Biertourist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:58 pm

FINALLY!

Thanks for posting.
Anyone else plan on going?

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Biertourist » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:00 am

You guys missed out. Except for the cold it was a great day of learning about and making cider.

I'm leaving mine to naturally ferment and we'll see how it comes out. (David let us taste a new batch that was naturally fermented with wild yeast on the skin and made with 100% Katy apples; it was probably the best cider I've had. Disclaimer: I haven't had that many real ciders, that was probably my 5th.)

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Ichiban » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 pm

There was talk about the possibility of us getting quantities of cider from David some years ago, directly from his supply. And we simply needed to bring along a suitable container to take it away. Was there any update on this?

I'd love to try my hand at some good quality (and convenient) cider making
Ichiban

Postby andrew » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Ichiban wrote:There was talk about the possibility of us getting quantities of cider from David some years ago, directly from his supply. And we simply needed to bring along a suitable container to take it away. Was there any update on this?

I'd love to try my hand at some good quality (and convenient) cider making

I've asked him about this and he's up for it but supplies won't be available until September.
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby Ichiban » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 am

Bloody seasonality! Thats great news Andrew thanks. Please keep me informed...
Ichiban

Postby Lars » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I attended one of these today in Sonairte in Laytown. Very enjoyable. I was amazed that he lets it ferment with naturally occurring yeast( uses sulphites to kill bacteria though) tasted a range of real ciders, really liked them all. He went through pulping, crushing, apple selection etc.... The lack of sanitation was also an eye opener. Really simple to make. I appears to be resistant to bacteria because the yeast ferments out 100% of the sugar leaving a very dry and even wine like drink
Lars

Return to Making Other Craft Brews