the turbo cider project

Got a recipe for a nice black cherry burgundy? Got an opinion on a yeast that you just have to share? This is the place for you.
User avatar
CrsZ00
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by CrsZ00 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Will,

We always have xylatol in the cupbord, its a fantastic sweetener and 100% natural (and it freshens your breath). The brand we are currently using is "Total Sweet" you can get it in most health shops. Its also great for making granola and sweetening curries.

I find Xylatol does not have a bitter aftertaste that you often get with other artificial sweeteners.

:)
Primary: Breac Donn (Brown Ale)
Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning: Cascade Reaction (Amber Ale)
Drinking: Fear Gorm (Irish Stout)
Planning: Mad Trout IPA

User avatar
EoinMag
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 pm
Contact:

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by EoinMag » Mon May 28, 2012 10:26 pm

CrsZ00 wrote:Will,

We always have xylatol in the cupbord, its a fantastic sweetener and 100% natural (and it freshens your breath). The brand we are currently using is "Total Sweet" you can get it in most health shops. Its also great for making granola and sweetening curries.

I find Xylatol does not have a bitter aftertaste that you often get with other artificial sweeteners.

:)
If I'm not mistaken it has quite a laxative effect, that could be hell after a cider session....it's bad enough as it is.

User avatar
CrsZ00
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by CrsZ00 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 am

That's why It's so good for making granola my colon is clean as a whistle :lol: :lol: . Seriously though you would need to eat a couple of teaspoons to have any real effect.
Primary: Breac Donn (Brown Ale)
Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning: Cascade Reaction (Amber Ale)
Drinking: Fear Gorm (Irish Stout)
Planning: Mad Trout IPA

User avatar
CrsZ00
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by CrsZ00 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Apple and elderflower Cider turned out really sweet and flowery. Did not have to backsweeten. A bit to floral for me but went down a hit with the fairer sex.
Primary: Breac Donn (Brown Ale)
Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning: Cascade Reaction (Amber Ale)
Drinking: Fear Gorm (Irish Stout)
Planning: Mad Trout IPA

User avatar
Will_D
Beoir Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Malahide, Dublin
Contact:

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by Will_D » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:03 pm

CrsZ00 wrote:Apple and elderflower Cider turned out really sweet and flowery. Did not have to backsweeten. A bit too floral for me but went down a hit with the fairer sex.
If you can keep the "fairer sex" happy then you have reached "Home brewing Nervana", never mind if ye're not happy with the "Tripple Stouted .Ie_pa with a hint of Red" if the FS is happy then "Relax and drink whatever ye make"!!

Will
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner

christhebrewer
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by christhebrewer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Just tried the cider.
4.5l lidl apple juice (given to me by a guy who had used it for a film prop)
500g glucose ( cos I thought I should boost the OG and make sure it was good and dry)
OG 18.6%brix
FG 7% brix
According to Jacob's calculator ABV=10%

Drank less than half a bottle and typing is quite difficult.
Jesus!
The rest of the bottle is in the fridge and I'm a bit scared of it.

User avatar
emmetg
Beoir Member
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 pm
Location: babriggan

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by emmetg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:52 pm

finially gave btl 1 a try. it was very very tart like drinking apple juice from cooking apples. a teaspoon of sugar made it more drinkable
fermenting: X
secondary: X
racking: Bremore Bitter (really bitter)
drinking: mystery beers well aged in my shed

christhebrewer
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by christhebrewer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am

Mine is not a bit sweet and really quite dry and tannic. No tea in this and none needed. It's not unpleasant to taste but definately not what I would call great tasting.
Not sure what to make of this stuff. I can't see myself drinking it. You could do real damage at a summer afternoon barbeque!( probably a good thing there's no summer)
The mark 2 version has some tea in it and is still in the fermentor.

User avatar
EoinMag
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 pm
Contact:

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by EoinMag » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm

christhebrewer wrote:Mine is not a bit sweet and really quite dry and tannic. No tea in this and none needed. It's not unpleasant to taste but definately not what I would call great tasting.
Not sure what to make of this stuff. I can't see myself drinking it. You could do real damage at a summer afternoon barbeque!( probably a good thing there's no summer)
The mark 2 version has some tea in it and is still in the fermentor.

Add a shot of pure apple juice at time of drinking to sweeten it up and make it like an English scrumpy.

User avatar
CrsZ00
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:08 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by CrsZ00 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am

Tried my fruice cider last night. Had added xylitol, tea and vanilla essence to 10litres fruice apple juice ( 2 for €2 in tesco) definitely needed more sweetener, very tart, vanilla essence completely lost. 7% abv without adding any sugars. Lidl apple juice definitely produced a more drinkable cider. Abv shows just how much sugar is added to fruice.
Primary: Breac Donn (Brown Ale)
Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning: Cascade Reaction (Amber Ale)
Drinking: Fear Gorm (Irish Stout)
Planning: Mad Trout IPA

User avatar
Paddy Bubbles
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:52 pm

emmetg wrote:is turbo cider (using apple juice from lidl) good? i mean am i going to end up with a product that i would enjoy rather than one that is purely there to get dunk on.
Thought I'd post an update on this now that I've sampled some of my own TC.

The answer to the original question above is an emphatic "yes"!

I am actually extremely shocked at how good it turned out. 5 litres of Aldi cloudy VitaFit, tea, raisins and half a sachet of Young's cider yeast. Racked to a demi-john after fermentation and topped it up with another splash of AJ. To be honest, I kind of lost my enthusiasm for the project and forgot about it for 3 months. Bottled with carb drops and a little Splenda, as per TBN's advice. After 2 or three weeks in bottle I now have an extremely tasty cider. In fact, it's nearly all gone.

I'll definitely be doing this again. I may even buy another demi-john so that I can bulk-age 10 litres at a time.

I'd drink this TC over Bulmers any day.

User avatar
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member
Posts: 11350
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by TheBeerNut » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Yay! Glad it worked out for you.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel

User avatar
EoinMag
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 pm
Contact:

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by EoinMag » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Paddy Bubbles wrote:
emmetg wrote:is turbo cider (using apple juice from lidl) good? i mean am i going to end up with a product that i would enjoy rather than one that is purely there to get dunk on.
Thought I'd post an update on this now that I've sampled some of my own TC.

The answer to the original question above is an emphatic "yes"!

I am actually extremely shocked at how good it turned out. 5 litres of Aldi cloudy VitaFit, tea, raisins and half a sachet of Young's cider yeast. Racked to a demi-john after fermentation and topped it up with another splash of AJ. To be honest, I kind of lost my enthusiasm for the project and forgot about it for 3 months. Bottled with carb drops and a little Splenda, as per TBN's advice. After 2 or three weeks in bottle I now have an extremely tasty cider. In fact, it's nearly all gone.

I'll definitely be doing this again. I may even buy another demi-john so that I can bulk-age 10 litres at a time.

I'd drink this TC over Bulmers any day.
To be honest, you made decent cider, you waited three months, it needs at least that to come into itself made from lidl juices. Turbo cider is a different type of yeasty acidic beast that's drunk in a week or two from starting and sometimes out of the demijohn, wait three months and it's just plain old ..cider.

User avatar
Paddy Bubbles
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Cheers lads. Who would've thought something with such humble/trashy origins could taste so good?!

Just had a bottle this evening and followed it up with a bottle of Aspalls Premier Cru, for the purposes of comparison. The TC wins, hands down. Drier, but much more flavoursome - a serious bang of apples off it. That's what you want in a cider, right?

Bought another 6 cartons of AJ this evening too!

User avatar
Will_D
Beoir Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Malahide, Dublin
Contact:

Re: the turbo cider project

Post by Will_D » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:55 am

Suggest you upscale to 5 gallon batches ASAP

The bigger the batch the more stable the process is ( called thermal mass )

Also you can stash away bottles or demi-johns for long term maturation/improving.

Also try adding a hanfule of Lidl Raspberries/Strawberies/Blueberries or what-have-you

Will
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests