It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Text Size
Login

Priming cider

Got a recipe for a nice black cherry burgundy? Got an opinion on a yeast that you just have to share? This is the place for you.

Postby Lars » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:45 pm

My gallon batch of Llewelyn cider is fermenting the last few days. He said when bottling just throw some sugar in, no mention of sanitation. Is this the norm with cider or do I need to be as anal about sanitation as I do with beer priming?
Lars

Postby ColMc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 am

Yes, Clean bottles etc. will ensure that your cider will have a shelf life I'd imagine.
ColMc

Postby Lars » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 pm

ColMc wrote:Yes, Clean bottles etc. will ensure that your cider will have a shelf life I'd imagine.

it's 1 gallon so won't be sitting on the shelf for too long:)
Llewelyn seemed to think it could be primed directly with sugar? Wouldn't dream of this with beer. Is always make up a syrup, boiled and cooled
Lars

Postby Taf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:58 pm

I've added sugar directly to the bottle in the past, and had no problems with it. I use a measuring spoon , through a very small funnel, so that it gets into the bottle properly.
Taf
Beoir Member

Postby Lars » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Might do that Taf. I'm wondering what an infection can do to a drink with no remaining sugars in it
Lars

Postby EoinMag » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 am

Lars wrote:Might do that Taf. I'm wondering what an infection can do to a drink with no remaining sugars in it

The infection will work on other sugars, or will work towards acetic acid.

Dry sugar is going to be a pretty hostile environment for anything to live in, beasties like sugar but they need more moisture than is present in a bag of sugar to live and thrive.
I'd bulk prime with a syrup myself, but you could add sugar directly to the bottle, but add it first and cider on top of it or fun will ensue.
EoinMag

Return to Making Other Craft Brews