It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:33 am

Text Size
Login

Small Event - help\advice

The place to discuss upcoming events or even to plan your own. This forum can be used in conjunction with the Calendar so you know what's on where and when.

Postby limer1234 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi All

I am thinking to plan a small event. There doesn’t seem to be any in the area where I am – I used to live in London and my buddy was a member of CAMRA so used to love going to random old bingo halls etc for a few real ales. Obviously I’ve no idea what I’m doing or how to approach it – given a choice I’d probably prefer to go for a hall or other space over a pub, but have no idea how regulation and licensing etc work or even where to find out. Would anyone out there be up for offering some advice ?

Im not doing thinking of profit in anyway just keep costs low to break even, im my experience all you really want is nice beer, good chats maybe a burger – I’m thinking small, independent, relaxed and bit of craic. Might be living in dreamland but worth looking into it at least.

Cheers
limer1234

Postby TheBeerNut » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Events like this tend to extend the licence from a local pub, so talking to a friendly local would be a start. But at that point you may as well hold the event at the pub. Licensing aside, public liability insurance is the other reason these don't happen in Ireland. Good luck with the plans!
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby limer1234 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks for the reply Beer Nut. I’m just wondering how it would work i.e. I assume my friendly local main concern will most likely be €€. So with guest beers etc I guess they will want to make the same € that they make normally.

I thought up a concept over the weekend – kind of like a private party small numbers 30/40/whatever and guests mostly friends and friends of friends and they do me a paypal or transfer for x which covers 5 beers which ‘the board’ will have selected as tasting beers. Just need to find somewhere to host it – given I’m supplying the beer and its just 5 beers and they are people we know it shouldn’t get too messy (we can go to the pub after if we want to keep going). My mind is probably going this direction so that I don’t have to deal with pubs\business people who are concerned with the € etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences of similar experiences.
limer1234

Postby nigel_c » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Where are you based?
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby limer1234 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:31 am

County Limerick Nigel
limer1234

Postby nigel_c » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Galway bay have always been keen to help out with events for both Beoir and NHC so their new pub might be a good place to start.
May not do a full event but host a night for like minded folks.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Return to Events