It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:53 am

Text Size
Login

Mapping the Lost Breweries of Ireland

If you want to give feedback on an article you've recently read on this site, then this is the place to go.

Postby TheBeerNut » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:34 am

Adeptus sets out the beginnings of ICB's Lost Breweries Project, as initiated by Joeby in this thread.

The article includes an impressive interactive map showing just how prevalent brewing once was in this country.

Have a browse and start gathering your corrections and additions, because the next phase will be up to you.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Hendrixcat » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Some sterling work done there. For my part I think I might take a look into the old Kinsealy brewery that was mentioned.
The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought. - Peter Medawar
Hendrixcat
Beoir Member

Postby bigears » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Great resource guys, well done. Just thinking - letters to local press might be a good way to get some extra info.
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Serving:
bigears
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:26 pm

Very well done lads a great resource of all
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks. This is only scratching the surface really, but I hope the map will form an index of sorts to provide stubs to help kick off deeper research. There are so many marked on the maps of the first half of the 19th C. -- and the majority most likely have little remaining on record -- that it'll be a big job to find out details on all of those found so far. That's why it's important to open this out and get you guys pulling in stuff where possible.

Of course the next real challenge is getting this Wiki working the way we want it :D
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby beeristhereason » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Very Good resource there, i was not aware of the brewery in youghal East Cork, i live only about eight miles from there so i'll try to get some info on that one, also the one in midleton as a lot of my relatives live there. Great Work very 8)
nothing brewed in over 12 months :(
beeristhereason

Postby Westbrew » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Great stuff Adeptus.

will start on Ballina brewerys soon
Westbrew
Beoir Member

Postby Bog_Myrtle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 am

Great article! Really interesting. It must take a lot of work to produce something like that. WEll done to Barry and all involved.
Bubbling: Wheat beer, Raspberry Mead

http://aranbrew.blogspot.com
Adventures in brewing and knitting
Bog_Myrtle

Postby n1mbus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:11 pm

The amount of information so far is great and it looks like its going to be a very interesting on-going project.

I have two more breweries for you Adeptus. Both are in Birr, I'll email you the locations in google earth kml files.
"Expand my brain, learning juice"
n1mbus

Postby BeerBaron » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Bravo on this project! It is certainly very interesting.
Just imagine being able to walk into a pub with a really long bar that had ale from each of these long lost breweries on tap. Now that would be some beer fest!
BeerBaron

Postby Wallacebiy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 pm

".....which was Beamish and Crawford, which was set up in 1792. The principal other breweries of the time included Lanes Southgate Brewery (est. 1758), the site of the redeveloped Grand Parade City Carpark; St. Finbarre’s Brewery (est. 1805) on Fitton Street (later Sharman Crawford Street); River Lee Porter Brewery (est. 1796) on Prospect Row (site of present day Lee Maltings) and Cashman’s Brewery at Crosses Green. All were located by the river for easy accessibility for transport and for a water supply. Associated with these brewing establishments were various storehouses and malt drying houses, which in many established cases were distributed outside the bounds of the brewery in other parts of the city."

From this Site http://corkheritage.ie/?page_id=313

Dunno if it helps , but it seems to have some slight differences from what's up on beermapping at the mo.
Primary :
Secondary :
Drinking :
Wallacebiy
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 pm

They're all mapped here, although yeah, some more information on the brewery names. Thanks!

All information for Cork City came from The Industrial Archaeology of Cork City and its Environs, Colin Rynne, 1999, p46

Lee Porter Brewery, established 1797.
St. Finnbarre's (Arnott's) Brewery, established 1805
South Gate Brewery, established 1758.
Crosse's Green Brewery, established early nineteenth century
Cowperthwaite's Brewery, established eighteenth century.
Drinan's Brewery, established eighteenth century.
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby Jenky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 am

Anyone know about the brewery in Kells,Co.Meath. It's still standing, Oliver Ushers Auction rooms are in it now,you can still kinda make out the workings of it. He has a poster in the office with a bit of history and labels.

From memory, it ran during the 1920/30/40s ? and was Irelands first lager brewery. The lager was called Regal,as in lager backwards !
Mark.
Jenky

Postby oblivious » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 am

Jenky wrote:
From memory, it ran during the 1920/30/40s ? and was Irelands first lager brewery. The lager was called Regal,as in lager backwards !
Mark.

There was actually a short lived lager brewery in Dublin in around 1899 I believe
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 am

The Dartry Brewery (est. 1891) was Ireland's first lager brewery.

Jenky wrote:Anyone know about the brewery in Kells,Co.Meath.
It was called the Regal Lager Brewery. It opened in 1937 and shows up as being in trouble in stock market reports in 1949.

In January 1952 it was put up for sale, and presumably Guinness bought it. It closed in 1954.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Next

Return to Content Discussion