It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Text Size
Login

Looking for apricots

The place to discuss ingredients, whether about their properties, growing or creating your own.

Postby SJWackness » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi chaps,

I've got an apricot IPA underway, the only problem is I'm still trying to find apricots. Does anyone know where I might find them in the Dublin area?

I've seen whole fresh apricots listed on menus of restaurants; do you think I'd have any luck asking to buy some from them?

Cheers,
John
SJWackness

Postby irish_goat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm

If you ask nicely you should be able to get a restaurant to order some for you. We had the odd customer asking for certain catering items and we'd normally oblige if it's not a lot of hassle.

Another option is to ask your local grocer (if you still have on). They might be able to source them if they don't normally stock them.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Pallas food has lots of purée and frozen fruits, unfortunately they wont sell to non business's :(
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby nigel_c » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:12 pm

I did an apricot wheat beer a few years back. It turned out really well. I used dried apricots that you can find in the baking section of most supermarkets. I rough chopped and added late in the boil. You could also freeze some and add to 2nd.
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby SJWackness » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:05 pm

nigel_c wrote:I did an apricot wheat beer a few years back. It turned out really well. I used dried apricots that you can find in the baking section of most supermarkets. I rough chopped and added late in the boil. You could also freeze some and add to 2nd.

Brill. That's my plan now as I can't find fresh apricots. Wasn't sure if dried would work but it sounds like brewers on other message boards have had success.

Did you only pitch at boil or did you ferment as we? I was going to do a 30-day secondary with them but I'm still not entirely sure how much I should use. It's for a 65 IBU IPA, so I want to have apricot flavour but without it tasting like a fruit beer--a fine balance in other words. The catch is most recipes call for fruit flavour extract as well but I'm trying to avoid that, so will need to increase the fruits in secondary.

Thanks for the reply!
SJWackness

Postby SJWackness » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:35 am

I bought 2 700g packs of dried apricots from the Indian on Moore street and started reconstituting them with water last night. Put in 2 litres of water and after 20 hours they've gobbled up most of it. Should be pretty easy to turn to a purée now. We'll see how it turns out.
SJWackness

Return to Ingredients