It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Text Size
Login

Best yeast for a Russian Imperial Stout

The place to discuss ingredients, whether about their properties, growing or creating your own.

Postby baconsarnie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:34 am

I'm assuming a single packet of Danstar Notty would be fine, but I've also a fair few packets of Saf 05 in the fridge- nothing to fear there, right?
Primary: NZ IPA, West Coast IPA
Secondary:
Conditioning: Spring 2019 Lambics
Keezer & drinking: SNPA clone, Summer Saison, Belgian Blonde and Mosaic Pale ale
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Postby oblivious » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:47 am

Any of them will be good, just you may need two pack depending on the FG and volume you want. Mr Malty calculator is a handy tool to figure that out for you

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them." - Niels Bohr

Primary: Black IPA
Keg:Summit IPA, White IPA (US05), Cider, Citrus Saison,

Twitter.com/Oblivious_

*Now with Blog* oblivioustobeer.blogspot.com
oblivious
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 pm

You know what they say, if in doubt brett it out.
Tube

Postby baconsarnie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:59 am

Tube wrote:You know what they say, if in doubt brett it out.

Oh, that's your answer for everything :D

Just out of interest, if you are using Brett, I assume you need to keep any fermentor seperate for future use? I heard that Brett can be tough to 100% remove so it may "influence" future brews. What's your experience Tube?
Secondary:
Keezer & drinking: SNPA clone, Summer Saison, Belgian Blonde and Mosaic Pale ale
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:54 pm

That's conventional wisdom, and it'd do no harm. But however, brett is no match for Domestos!
Tube

Postby sbillings » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Brett is just a yeast. If it survives your regular sanitisation techniques then you really need to look at improving them anyway.
Fermentor: Nothing :(
Conditioning: Export Stout (8% Vol.) & Porter (5% Vol.)
Serving: Ale (4.5% Vol.)
sbillings
Site Admin

Postby baconsarnie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm

sbillings wrote:Brett is just a yeast. If it survives your regular sanitisation techniques then you really need to look at improving them anyway.

I've never had any issues with sanitation but I've see plenty on line that Brett, even though it is a yeast, is a bit more stubborn, hence the question
Secondary:
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Brett is a bit more of a survivor than sacch. Also most people won't do much more than starsan which doesn't kill yeast.
Tube

Postby Biertourist » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:04 pm

baconsarnie wrote:
sbillings wrote:Brett is just a yeast. If it survives your regular sanitisation techniques then you really need to look at improving them anyway.

I've never had any issues with sanitation but I've see plenty on line that Brett, even though it is a yeast, is a bit more stubborn, hence the question

Brett is certainly more acid tolerant than most yeast strains, but I think most of the fear around Brett comes from winery conditions. -If Brett makes it into a wood barrel- that's where you REALLY get into trouble because it can survive indefinitely on the cellulose in the barrel itself and it can embed itself several millimeters into the wood's surface which make it very hard for ANY sanitizer to get it.

Also bret's off-flavor contributions are DRAMATICALLY noticable giving some time -if you had a previous "contamination" from your previous batche's yeast strain would you even notice it? -Probably not.

Adam
Biertourist

Return to Ingredients