It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Text Size
Login

New to brew attempt at raspberry cider.

The place to discuss ingredients, whether about their properties, growing or creating your own.

Postby tanseyman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello, without any recipe or much know how, I've started a cider. Had 1kg frozen raspberries, thawed and crushed with lemon zest and 1 chopped up lemon, added 1kg cane sugar with boiling water and 1 litre apple juice. Let cool filled fermenter to 23 litres added champagne yeast. Added 2 more litres apple juice after 2 days for no good reason. It started fermenting more vigorously. Stirred a couple of times. Racked after 6 days. Plan to leave for another couple of weeks.
Have I put in too much water? Will this stuff kill me? Should I use campdon tablets at the end?
tanseyman
Beoir Member

Postby Ciderhead » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:09 pm

tanseyman wrote:Hello, without any recipe or much know how, I've started a cider. Had 1kg frozen raspberries, thawed and crushed with lemon zest and 1 chopped up lemon, added 1kg cane sugar with boiling water and 1 litre apple juice. Let cool filled fermenter to 23 litres added champagne yeast. Added 2 more litres apple juice after 2 days for no good reason. It started fermenting more vigorously. Stirred a couple of times. Racked after 6 days. Plan to leave for another couple of weeks.
Have I put in too much water? Will this stuff kill me? Should I use campdon tablets at the end?

Any gravities? I think you would need more fermentables
too late for campden, they should have gone in at the start to kill natural yeasts
Have you tasted it?
Ciderhead
Beoir Member

Postby Will_D » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 am

I'm afraid you have used far too much water!.

You will end up with a raspberry flavoured 2% fruit water.
There will be so little alcohol it won't keep. But if it tastes nice and refreshing then drink quickly or freeze it in plastic bottles!!

Cider uses just juice and no extra water.

1kg of raspberry, 0.25kg sugar and 5 l of AJ would have given you a nice gallon of strong rasberry cider!
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner
Will_D
Beoir Member

Postby tanseyman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:39 pm

thanks lads, it actually tastes alright, gravity 1.020 when I racked it. I figured I could replace a beer kit with fruit & AJ add same amount of water & sugar & it would work. now I knows. So I basically have a low alcohol raspberry cordial. I'll just give it to the kids in a few weeks time.
tanseyman
Beoir Member

Postby tanseyman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:47 pm

I will have a large amount of blackcurrants, raspberries & Blackberries at end of summer. I could go down the wine road but I cant wait that long. I'm finding it hard to get some decent recipes for mixing fresh fruit with cider/beer, where do I need to look.
tanseyman
Beoir Member

Postby Will_D » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Err!: Just mix fresh fruits Crushed/Mushed/UnFrozen* with Apple Juice and away you go!

Amounts: All depends but 1 Kg of fruit to 5/10L of AJ? is a starter!

*UnFrozen: Freeze your fruits first - this ruptures the cell walls as they defrost. Also add Pectolase enzymes = why not?

HTH: Will
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner
Will_D
Beoir Member

Return to Ingredients