It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Text Size
Login

Ireland Hop Growers Roll Call

The place to discuss ingredients, whether about their properties, growing or creating your own.

Postby brettdundee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 pm

A real example for the new growers
I transplanted some Fuggles and Cascade last year - into the poly-tunnel. Poly-tunnels are definitely recommended for wet and windy parts of Ireland (shall we say most of it!). Having said that, I met all my hop requirements since 2004 with hops outside. Growing outside just meant I had to pick promptly, as flowers often got brown tinge soon after ripening. Also, crops were good in warmer summers, but considerably reduced during more "ordinary" summers. I froze the dried hops from bumper crops to cover me for the bad years when I might only get half a years supply.
Storing Rhizomes: I wouldn't encourage growth by putting them on kitchen window before planting out. Best to keep them cool so they wont get a shock when banished outdoors. Also, if they are already sprouted a foot tall, they could be easily snapped during planting which is not good. But don't worry, so long as they have any sort of a bud forming they'll grow. They are very hardy. I had three hop vines planted at a rented house for two years in 2003/2004 and after I left it took the owner three years to dig them all out. They kept coming back.
I planted 6 x (smallish 6inch) Fuggles rhizomes on 11th March, and 3 x (larger 10inch) Cascade rhizomes on 25th March.
Give them something to climb up - rope thicker than 5mm is great. Train them to follow the rope if its not vertical. eg. every few days, direct any stray vines back to the rope, trying not to break delicate tips.
By early September, they were all 10 foot tall and full of hops. I'll post pics below.
Last edited by brettdundee on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brettdundee

Postby brettdundee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Mid-Wesht Hops-Over Fest in October.
I harvested my yearly supply of Hops in early to mid September. My problem was I had a huge amount of hops left over, and no time or inclination to pick, dry, bag them for others. I invited a few of the mid Wesht brewers over to pick what they could.
I set up a corny of pale Mexican Cerveza, chiller, tap and stereo in the poly-tunnel and we started early afternoon.
With 5 brewers present, there was plenty of conversation and refreshments and after 3 hours it was decided that we better start picking the hops before dark.
Photo 1: three hours and several pints down, and we have the grand sum of 12 hops picked. Discussion moves onto how we could pick up the pace a little... two hands maybe ...?

Photo 2: I think it was qazxsw that tried the two handed picking technique first, overbalanced, tripped, spilled the hops and so it was.... the "pick and drop" dry hop method was born. We all agreed this greatly enhanced the fresh aroma and coated the lips and tongue with just the perfect amount of raw hop oils.

The vines from outside were cut down and carried in to the work table (near the keg and conversation), including the ones twenty foot up my neighbour's tree. In the twilight, we soon realized the scale of the opperation and rigged up some work lights. We paused for an hour or two (maybe more?) for a BBQ feast, then back into it. The hops were finally picked, bagged, weighed and everyone left with their party bags (garbage bags) of fresh hops at about midnight.
brettdundee

Postby Paz-CCFC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Is there anywhere/anyone in Cork that I could source rhizomes from? I've seen a few of the online sellers but they seem a bit expensive - the post & package being a particular killer when looking for a small order.

Thanks.
Paz-CCFC
Beoir Member

Postby Taf » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Paz-CCFC wrote:Is there anywhere/anyone in Cork that I could source rhizomes from? I've seen a few of the online sellers but they seem a bit expensive - the post & package being a particular killer when looking for a small order.

Thanks.

I always have a few rhizomes going spare. They'll be starting to come back to life in another few months, so won't be long before I can go out and dig a few up. PM me to let me know where you are based, and we can sort something out when the time comes. Usually give them free, but a beer or two or something else to swap always appreciated.
Taf
Beoir Member

Postby Paz-CCFC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Taf wrote:I always have a few rhizomes going spare. They'll be starting to come back to life in another few months, so won't be long before I can go out and dig a few up. PM me to let me know where you are based, and we can sort something out when the time comes. Usually give them free, but a beer or two or something else to swap always appreciated.

Perfect, thanks for the reply, Taf.
Paz-CCFC
Beoir Member

Postby Drum » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:56 am

Hi Billy, if you have any extra I've been on the lookout for some rhizomes aswell. I'll pm my number if you dont mind. I'm living near bandon so it won't be hard to sort a swap. I bottled a batch of a really hoppy pale ale today that I could part with a 6 pack of, if that sounds good to you?
Drum

Postby onemanorthree » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 pm

I'm in Dublin and looking to grow some hops this year. Keen grower so should be able to manage ok. Can anybody let me know where is the best place to get young plants and which varieties grow best in this climate?
onemanorthree

Postby upsidedowna » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:35 pm

The damn wind has blown down four of my hop plants. The problem is the garden wire I'm using isn't strong enough to take their weight when the wind gets up. I've reattached them and had it break a couple of times already today.

Does anybody know what weight of wire we should be using for this job? I wonder if next year I should get some fishing line instead.

Any thoughts or advice?
upsidedowna
Beoir Member

Postby Tube » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Coir rope is used in England, mainly as its biodegradable AFAIK. Nylon washing line would be suitable and easily obtained here.
Tube

Postby Will_D » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:24 am

Hops need a rough rope to help them cling onto.

A washing line will be too smooth.

Use a stranded poly propylene(usually blue) rope/string
Or a thicker orange twine.
Or that brown hairy parcel string that smells of hemp (coz' It is)
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner
Will_D
Beoir Member

Postby wookie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Finally two years later it looks like I have some flowers, but a couple of questions.

Anybody out there who can tell if these will make it in time for this season? It does seem quite late for them?

Also and a more fundamental question, do the flowers develop into cones?

Cheers,

Killian
wookie
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Mine are like that too. They'll grow into cones over the next month or so.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby nigel_c » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 pm

My tettnanger plants are coming along nicely.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180 ... 7ni2z7.jpg
nigel_c
Beoir Member

Postby Liam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Taurus and Magnum (My Smaragd failed while I was away in August.) both harvested, dried and vacuum packed using ziploc bags, a vacuum cleaner and an invented attachment using 4 straws and masking tape. :shock:

But it worked!

Now I just need to learn how to brew...
Liam
Beoir Member

Previous

Return to Ingredients