It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Text Size
Login

Using half a highet EBC crystal malt

The place to discuss ingredients, whether about their properties, growing or creating your own.

Postby Stitch » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi guys

I have a receipe that requires 60EBC crystal malt. All I have to hand is 120 EBC malt. I have seen some youtube videos that say you can use half the amount. My understanding was the higher the number the darker the color and the more sweet the residual sugars.

Just looking to get this confirmed.

Thanks
Rob

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk
Stitch

Postby Will_D » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm not sure but if you use half the amount then:

Yes, you may get half the colour ( Good for recipe )

But, also you would only get half the fermentables ( Bad )

Assuming you are doing a mash with base malts.

If you are just steeping then the colour is more likeley to be extracted along with lavours but if no enzymes are at work then no fermentables to speak of.

Will
Drinking:........HBC AG Kit American APA
Pri Fermenting:..AG Paulaner
Sec Fermenting:..LaTrappe Dubbel, AG Pilsner, Aventius AG Clone
Kegged: .........Cider
To Brew:.........HoorsLite, Hefe Dunkel, Dark Pilsner
Will_D
Beoir Member

Postby Stitch » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks Will. The grains will be steeped for 30 minutes at about 67DegC. So using half should do it. So by steeping I will be just extracting a fresh malt flavor I assume and adjusting the color.

Stitch

Postby MAF » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Stitch wrote:My understanding was the higher the number the darker the color and the more sweet the residual sugars.
This is true for the colour, but the sweetness does not increase in line with colour. Caramalt is a very light coloured crystal malt (around 30EBC I think), but it is quite sweet. I'd add the same amount of your darker crystal if you are ok with having a slightly darker beer. If you go with 50%, then you are going to have 50% of the flavour contribution of the crystal in the recipe.
MAF
Beoir Member

Postby Spud 395 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:55 pm

You may may get the same colour but will get a different flavour profile. Dont get me wrong, you will still make good beer but it will be different from the original recipe if that matters to you. Different colour crystals also have different flavours
Spud 395

Postby Stitch » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 pm

I think at this stage colour does not matter as much as flavor. So if sweetness does not increase with colour I would stick with the original receipe.

Stitch

Return to Ingredients