It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:17 am

Text Size
Login

Adding fruit coulis to secondary

Planning a brew day and need feedback, or want to share a recipe you've brewed? Post them up here (but read the sticky first :))

Postby Simon_83 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:17 am

Hello everyone, Inexperienced brewer question for you - I'm thinking of adding a (shop bought) fruit coulis to secondary fermentation but it does have sugar in it. Will this cause problems? Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? Thanks, Simon
Simon_83
Beoir Member

Postby sbillings » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:37 am

A few things to bear in mind here.

1. Does the commercial fruit addition have any preservative in it? If it does, it may interfere with the action of the yeast.

2. The sugar in the couli will ferment out, so don't expect any sweetness to be added (unless there is artificial sweetener as well). If you are looking for a sweet fruit beer, start with a sweet base beer (very few IBUs) and add the fruit for flavouring/aroma in the secondary.

3. As there was probably a lot of heat used in the manufacturing process of the couli, the pectins in the fruit will have been set. This will most likely cause a haze in your beer. It's cosmetic, but something to be aware of.

4. Do you know how much to use? I have only ever used (thawed) frozen fruit and I found 2kg of strawberries, or other berries made the fruit the major aroma/flavour of the beer when added to a 23 litre batch. If the coulis are very strongly flavoured, it will take less to achieve this, but how much less I don't know.

Best of luck with your fruit beer.
Fermentor: Blond.
Conditioning:
Serving: Belgian Ale (4% Vol.), Dark Belgian Quad (10.5% Vol).
sbillings
Site Admin

Postby Simon_1983 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Great stuff, thanks for the tips!
Simon_1983
Beoir Member

Return to Brew Days