It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Text Size
Login

AG - American Pale Ale

Planning a brew day and need feedback, or want to share a recipe you've brewed? Post them up here (but read the sticky first :))

Postby Philgill » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Hey Guys,

Picked a simple enough recipe for my First spin on my new brewing set up.

4.5kg Maris Otter
.5kg Crystal 30
1kg Vienna Malt
0.2kg Flaked Oats

mashed at 65 degrees

30g Centennial 60 mins
30g Centennial 10 mins
40g Centennial 0 mins

US Safale 05

OG 1065
FG 1010 (ish)

I have 18 litres in the fermenter so my efficiency is miles off. Target was to get 22 litres at 1060. I'm happy enough with that tho.

Couple of problems on brew day

1: The boil cut off a couple of times. So for about 10 mins or so I the boil was off, the wort was still hot of course but wasn't rolling. Fixed this for the last 20 mins of the boil so hopefully that was okay.
2: I opened the ball valve on the MT too quickly and the rate of flow was tricklesome. Lashed in some more hot water and gave the grain bed a stir, this improved matters. Let the mash settle before opening slowly over the course of 10-15 mins this time. A funny thing happened at the end, the flow was slow but steady. All of sudden there was a big gush of wort into the fermenter as if a switch had been hit or more than likely something was unclogged.

Anyone experience that before?
Philgill

Postby Philgill » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:29 pm

by the way, took a taste while testing the gravity.

Very oaty/grainy taste from it. Not really bitter at all. Didn't taste a whole lot like beer. Will be bottling it this weekend hopefully (brew day + 14 days). Hope to be pouring bottles of it for the long weekend.
Philgill

Postby baconsarnie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Philgill wrote:by the way, took a taste while testing the gravity.

Very oaty/grainy taste from it. Not really bitter at all. Didn't taste a whole lot like beer. Will be bottling it this weekend hopefully (brew day + 14 days). Hope to be pouring bottles of it for the long weekend.

I always taste when I take the gravity- it never bears any resemblance to beer- naturally- as the yeast hasn't done its magic.

I've had a few hop monsters where the hops are non-existent post brew but that changes when it's fermented out
Primary: NZ IPA, West Coast IPA
Secondary:
Conditioning: Spring 2019 Lambics
Keezer & drinking: SNPA clone, Summer Saison, Belgian Blonde and Mosaic Pale ale
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Postby Philgill » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 am

Opened the first bottle of this last night.

Oats definitely dominate the beer. Creamy, frothy head which comes through in the mouthfeel.
Tastes like flapjacks.
Its a nice beer but having been in the bottle for just a week I hope a couple of extra weeks conditioning and carbing will dial back the impact of the oats.
Philgill

Return to Brew Days