It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:32 am

Text Size
Login

Brew Day Check List - All Grain

Planning a brew day and need feedback, or want to share a recipe you've brewed? Post them up here (but read the sticky first :))

Postby Philurboots » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:02 am

Hello All,

This is my first post so please be gentle.....Im planning my first all grain brew day next Sunday. I have built a gravity keg system and have an American Pale Ale kit from the Homebrew Company.

I have searched for but, can't find a good brew day check list for this sort of brew system.

Your help is very much appreciated!

All other advice greatly accepted.
Philurboots
Beoir Member

Postby baconsarnie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Doh! Only seeing this now

Anyways, I started all-grain by using Séan's Beoir guide (as I'd imagine many others did back in the ICB days)

http://www.beoir.org/index.php/articles ... ight-think

It's in the articles section under brewing knowledge.

I printed that off and had it as my checklist for my first 10 brews I'd say. For the first one, I read and re-read it to have it clear in my mind what i was going to do. And before i even started, i made sure to have everything i would need on that list to hand, rather than panicking to look for yeast just before i was about to pitch it or something like that.

Since I started all-grain back in 2010 or so I have modified my process a bit to streamline it as my brewing space etc has changed, but the fundamentals are more or less the same. I always try to keep some sort of record of the process itself, you learn as you go and by recording what works and what doesn't, you can improve and ensure you don't make the same mistakes (and it is inevitable, everyone makes mistakes!!)

These days to save time, my brewday starts the night before, mill any grain and have my boiler filled with water so once I get up, I can just turn it on to start the brewday as early as possible.

After that it really is as simple as Séan makes it out- just be prepared that it usually takes about 7 hours from starting to heat up water to cleaning up afterwards (but most of it is waiting for water to reach strike temperatures or to come to the boil).

Make sure to enjoy it! And relax, it generally will turn out great. Once you have basic sanitation right and don't take any risks to scald yourself, you will be fine.
Primary: NZ IPA, West Coast IPA
Secondary:
Conditioning: Spring 2019 Lambics
Keezer & drinking: SNPA clone, Summer Saison, Belgian Blonde and Mosaic Pale ale
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Postby Philurboots » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks a million for the reply.

First brew day went ahead two weeks ago. Went reasonably well apart from my chiller not fitting in my kettle. Transferred to my boiler to cool. Ended up with no hop strainer Resulted with some hops in the fermenter. Is this bad?
Tested last night. Tasted good but flat. Not at target OG yet. It will be 3 weeks this Sunday. How can I get a bit of fizz back in the beer or will this come when I bottle it?
Philurboots
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:33 pm

Philurboots wrote:Resulted with some hops in the fermenter. Is this bad?
Won't do any harm.

Philurboots wrote:How can I get a bit of fizz back in the beer or will this come when I bottle it?
You'll need to prime the bottles with a bit of extra sugar to generate the fizz. It's covered in the bottling guide here.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Philurboots » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Downloaded the bottling guide!

Thanks guys for the help, very much appreciated.
Philurboots
Beoir Member

Postby baconsarnie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Philurboots wrote:Thanks a million for the reply.

First brew day went ahead two weeks ago. Went reasonably well apart from my chiller not fitting in my kettle. Transferred to my boiler to cool. Ended up with no hop strainer Resulted with some hops in the fermenter. Is this bad?

Nah, it won't make a difference. I'd say nearly everyone suffers a hop strainer related incident at least once

:)
Primary: NZ IPA, West Coast IPA
Secondary:
Conditioning: Spring 2019 Lambics
Keezer & drinking: SNPA clone, Summer Saison, Belgian Blonde and Mosaic Pale ale
baconsarnie
Beoir Member

Return to Brew Days