It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Text Size
Login

AG: Recipe Munich Dunkel

Planning a brew day and need feedback, or want to share a recipe you've brewed? Post them up here (but read the sticky first :))

Postby Biertourist » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 pm

I was shooting for an old-school almost 100% Munich malt Munich Dunkel, there's a couple of tweaks I would make next time as noted at the bottom.

Stats
OG: 1.052
FG Estimated: 1.013
FG Actual: -to come later
Color: 20 SRM
ABV: 5.1%
IBUs: 24.5

Batch Size: 10 gallons, with 11.25 in the kettle at end of boil

Grist
83.5% Weyermann Type 2 Munich (19 lb)
8.8% Best Pilsner Malt (2 lb)
3.3% Carafa II Weyermann (12 oz) -Note, I would add only 2% next time; right now it's a bit too roasty; if you're going to add this much add it at sparge / vorlauf and not for the full duration of the mash
4.4% Melanoidin malt Weyermann (1 lb) -Note, I'd also add half this much next time.

Mash
Single temp infusion @ 70C
Added 1 Tbsp calcium chloride to the mash to my near RO insanely soft water
60 min mash

Boil
Added 2 tsp calcium chloride to the boil kettle
Boiled first runnings until hot break formed while batch sparging

1 oz (28g) Sterling pellets 6.1% AA @ 60 min
1 oz Hallertauer Mittlefruher pellets 4.3% AA @ 60 min
0.3 oz Centennial 10% AA @ 60 min
---Note: I boil in a huge stainless hop spider which dramatically reduces my utilization, I have found that if I tell my brewing software that I'm using whole hops instead of pellets the bitterness seems to end up where I want.

1 oz Spalter Select pellets 2.7% AA @ 15 minutes -Note, I think the aroma is more than I want for a dunkel in this beer, I'd either drop this down to 1/2oz or do away with it entirely.

Fermentation
I used 2 smack packs of the 2487 strain, with each one with it's own 2 liter starter and an aeration stone pumping air into the headspace above the starter. This gave me a ton of yeast growth but huge oxygen shock-related lag so I then repitched 2 vials of the Pilsner Urquell 2278 strain that I had left over from my previous bohemian pilsner.

I pitched into the fermenter at 7.22 C and let it raise to 8.9C for the first 3 days and then started raising it to 12.8C after 7 days of fermentation. The gravity read 1.024 when I started raising it to 12.8C. Now I'm raising it 1 degree F per day for the next 7 days, so I have an upward fermentation profile to help dry it out faster and to essentially "diacetyl ramp" it.

Both yeast strains produce a lot of diacetyl so I threw the yeast starters in the fridge for 1 day and 2 days and decanted the starter wort off. I'm also hoping that the huge quantity of yeast and starting it very cold and then ramping up after the growth phase will help dramatically with diacetyl. My Bohemian Pilsner had diacetyl for almost 30 days, so this can only be an improvement.

Initial Reaction
With my taste at day 6 after pitching, I'd say it's slightly too bitter, too hoppy and too roasty. I'd also perfer a better mouthfeel but until it drops clear I'll hold off final judgement on that.

I'd love to decoct this, but my insulated mashtun makes that impossible.

Next time I'd formulate the recipe actually telling my brewing software that I have pellet hops; I think it's actually fairly accurate with low bitterness / hoppiness beers, and only becomes inaccurate because of my hop spider with highly hopped beers.

I really, REALLY love this style and I think this is going to be the next beer I just keep rebrewing and dialing in. I hope I can get it the way I want without decocting.

I was told very specifically by a highly experienced local brewer that 100% Munich malt dunkels finish with too high an FG for competitions and to add some Pilsner malt; I did it begrudgingly and only at a minimum; I'm not sure I'll do it next time.

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Biertourist » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:33 pm

https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xla1/t31.0-0/p526x296/12032746_10153724522711929_6390124126963151576_o.jpg

Note: This is the first beer I've made with my 14 gallon SS BrewTech Chronical beauty in my True GDM-12 temp controlled chamber!

I had to link to the image rather than embedding it as I guess it's too wide to be posted here.

Woot!

Adam
Biertourist

Postby sbillings » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:19 am

It is a thing of beauty. Looks too tall for an under counter fridge though. What kind of chamber do you use for temp control?
Fermentor: Nothing :(
Conditioning: Export Stout (8% Vol.) & Porter (5% Vol.)
Serving: Ale (4.5% Vol.)
sbillings
Site Admin

Postby Biertourist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:50 pm

sbillings wrote:It is a thing of beauty. Looks too tall for an under counter fridge though. What kind of chamber do you use for temp control?

I use a True GDM-12 commercial merchandiser fridge that I picked up on Craigslist; I spent about 18 months checking restaurant auctions and Craigslist to find one for an affordable price as I wanted the glass door to show off the fermenter BLING. ;-) http://truemfg.com/catalog.aspx?languag ... =GDM-12-LD

Here's a picture of the actual fridge on the left:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153513160301929&l=98d287c810

It's a 1990s Pepsi fridge that I spray painted black.

Adam
Biertourist

Postby sbillings » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Wow, that's not the only piece if catering gear you managed to lay your hands on. Nice setup.
Fermentor: Nothing :(
Conditioning: Export Stout (8% Vol.) & Porter (5% Vol.)
Serving: Ale (4.5% Vol.)
sbillings
Site Admin

Postby Biertourist » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:03 pm

sbillings wrote:Wow, that's not the only piece if catering gear you managed to lay your hands on. Nice setup.

Thanks. A lot of Craigslist and home made equipment with particular attention paid to the BLING.

Kegerator was on a clearance and cheap, as long as you didn't buy their tap, so I bought a generic tap and used a dremel tool to fit it into the kegerator -tap handles are driftwood.

HLT on the left is a 20 gallon crab pot I just drilled and put weldless fittings into.

MLT is one of the German Ebay thermoboxes with a home-made stainless perforated false bottom (plasma cutter + bench grinder and stainless bolts to hold it off the bottom). It's got a tri-clamp bottom drain poorly welded into the bottom and I use a $0.59 lawn spray head for sparging.

Kettle on the right is unnameable macrobrand keg with the top cut off and 3 welded fittings.

Homemade electric control panel (electric diagram from PJ on HomeBrewTAlk).

Sink is from Craigslist.

Stainless backsplash is just 4' x 6' stainless sheet from onlinemetals.com here in Seattle ($40 per panel) -then I just cut notches in where I needed them with my dremel -they're held up with two sided velcro.

Malt mill is a Monster MM 2 2.0 with the extensions. My next project around Christmas time will be to permanently mount it in a cabinet (I'm thinking an Ikea kitchen cart from Craigslist) and attach a permanent motor.

I epoxied the floor with a $200 kit from Home Depot (US version of B&Q); it was an INSANE amount of labor, but I'm 95% happy with it. (Came up in two small spots where there was glue on the concrete floor.)

Adam
Biertourist

Return to Brew Days