It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 am

Text Size
Login

AG: St Paddy's Porridge: Bog Oak-Smoked Oatmeal Stout

Planning a brew day and need feedback, or want to share a recipe you've brewed? Post them up here (but read the sticky first :))

Postby MAF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Biertourist wrote:I've been thinking about what I would modify in this recipe and if I were to brew it again I would do everything exactly the same except I would increase the smoked malt percent by 50-100% and see how it tastes.

I finally have a beer recipe that I wouldn't tweak next time. This is the first recipe EVER that I can say that about.

Adam

Plenty more of that bog oak, but unfortunately haven't gotten round to smoking any more malt with it. Will have to give it another go.
MAF
Beoir Member

Postby Ciderhead » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 am

Would you get more of the smokiness flavour imparted if your malt was cold smoked?
Ciderhead
Beoir Member

Postby Biertourist » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 am

Ciderhead wrote:Would you get more of the smokiness flavour imparted if your malt was cold smoked?

I wish I knew! I have no idea why Weyermann cold smokes their malt. High temps would continue to degrade enzymes and German Rauch Malt is considered a basemalt and needs plenty of diastatic power; this is the only reason I can come up with.

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Biertourist » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:06 am

I'd recommend doing it exactly as MAF details but using 400 grams for a 5 gallon batch. (Mainly because it tastes right and that's all that really matters when you're using a small quantity like this.)

It tasted perfectly smoky until the yeast flocculated and pulled all the smoke out with them.

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Ciderhead » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 am

Biertourist wrote:

It tasted perfectly smoky until the yeast flocculated and pulled all the smoke out with them.

Damned inconsiderate of them :(
Ciderhead
Beoir Member

Postby Biertourist » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Ciderhead wrote:
Biertourist wrote:

Damned inconsiderate of them :(

I know!
The cheeky little bastards! I give them a good job eating sugar all day and then as their shift ends they steal my precious smoke and go home with it! :wink:

Adam
Biertourist

Postby Biertourist » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:30 am

I have reason to believe that a commercial Irish brewery is going to be picking up the bog oak-smoked malt beer mantle before too long... SO excited!

I'm happy to setup a beer exchange with someone in Ireland for some hard to find Pacific NW beers if anyone is interested (after the bog oak smoked beer comes out). -Be prepared for painful shipping charges.

Adam

P.S. Apologize in advance for dredging up the "St Paddy's" issue again. I've read enough of Reuben's blog and FB posts to know it drives him bonkers.
Biertourist

Previous

Return to Brew Days