It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Text Size
Login

Cloudy Beer

Discuss problems, tweaks, or anything else related to your beer kit based brews.

Postby CDow » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:37 pm

I brewed an APA by Youngs about 5weeks ago. I bottled and placed them outside on the patio. I left on bottle indoors in the kitchen.

I opened the indoor bottled today and it erupted like a volcano, beer every where. When I poured out the remaining beer it looked like muck. Down the sink.

I then opened a bottle from the patio, crystal clear, looked lovely Put it back and reopened with dinner. Very cloudy but drinkable.

I had planned to leave until Easter. Is it likely that the beer will clear by then?

Have I done something wrong?
Has something gone wrong?

The indoor bottle was the last bottle filled. I did transfer from one FV to another before bottling, but didn't have a siphon and just poured. Would this explain the sediment, even though the sediment cake was left behind?
CDow
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:16 pm

More sediment will form in the bottle during conditioning, the same way as it forms in the fermenter. Once you're happy that the beer has had enough time at room temperature to condition, chill it down, keep it still, and pour carefully. It's possible to get a clear glass of bottle-conditioned homebrew, but it takes a bit of practice.
Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Return to Kit Brewing