It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am

Text Size
Login

Muntons Gold Highland Heavy Ale

Discuss problems, tweaks, or anything else related to your beer kit based brews.

Postby cgrvy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 pm

First post and first brew!

Got a gift of this kit for Christmas and brewed it up on Monday, I see that the water in the airlock is pushing up the second bend but there is no bubbling through yet, after looking at a few posts I'm pretty sure this is ok and I should see more activity in a couple of days. The lid is on tight and I can see pressure in the fermenter.

One thing I did wrong was taking the OG, it was 40 on the hydrometer.... I didn't spend long trying to figure out why - I figured that there might be something wrong with the (new) hydrometer. But I went back later in the day and checked it against water and it is reading 1.000, so I made a mistake somewhere!

Has anyone made this brew already - any good/bad results?

Next up will be a Coopers sparkling ale.
cgrvy

Postby cgrvy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Ok - so this brew has been fermenting since Monday morning and there are still no bubbles coming through the airlock? Should I be worried or just a little more patient?
cgrvy

Postby capillod » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Are u sure thelid is fully sealed. The co2 may be venting under the seal. What temp is the fermenter at?

Cathal O D
Cathal O D
capillod

Postby Irish Party Ale » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Welcome to the site. The chances are that the lid is leaking a bit of pressure which is why you're not seeing the airlock bubble. This is not something to worry about! I assume that you can see foam on the top (tis called krausen btw)? If so then the chances are all is good.
Ed
Primary; A drought of nowt
Conditioning;
Drinking; Very Vintage Ale, Very Vintage RIS, random unlabelled bottles
Planning; Interesting Powerless Ale
Irish Party Ale
Beoir Member

Postby cgrvy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for getting back!

The room is between 19 and 21 degrees.

I'm pretty sure the lid is sealed correctly - the lid has even pushed up a little bit with the pressure in the fermenter.

The fermenter isn't clear but I can see the krausen stuck to the sides - is it ok to take the lid off at this point to see if there is foam all over or if it has disappeared or best to leave it?
cgrvy

Postby cgrvy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:32 am

Just an update - I removed a little bit of water from the airlock on Wednesday (I think I put too much into it) and it then started bubbling along nicely, it stopped last night but I am going to leave it for another few days before doing anything.

Cant wait to try it!
cgrvy

Return to Kit Brewing