It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am

Text Size
Login

Adding mulled wine spices to a kit for Xmas brew

Discuss problems, tweaks, or anything else related to your beer kit based brews.

Postby orkay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:08 pm

I have a red ale kit that I'm thinking of adding some sachets of mulled wine spice to with idea of making a christmas ale.

Anyone got any tips or observations?
At the moment I'm trying to figure out if it's best to add the sachets at the very beginning along with the extract, or put them in at secondary and follow dry-hopping procedure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
ro
orkay

Postby Barry M » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 pm

This might give you some ideas, a mulled beer I made last christmas using Aventinus. Even if you don't heat it, perhaps the combination of the spices will give you some inspiration, though I suspect this worked because it was heated, with juice and rum added. Surprisingly delicious ;)
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: -
Kegged: Death or Glory Oatmeal IPA II, Fichtenbier IV, various ciders
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby orkay » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks for that Barry, great post.
The rum and cherry juice sounded like they were great additions. It looks like heating the spices is a key component in making this work.

I think as a shortcut I'll heat some of the sachets seperately in a litre of water and then add the water and sachets to the FV along everything else. Maybe then keep the sachets in the FV and check it after a couple of days to see how the good/bad the strength of the spices are.

If I've somehow manged to blunder onto a successful way of doing this I'll post an update here. Brewing Sunday once I've bottled a sexy IPA on saturday.
orkay

Return to Kit Brewing