It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Text Size
Login

Northern Brewer starter kit

If you have graduated (or would like to graduate) from the beer kit to malt extract, hops, steeping grains, etc. Then this is the forum for you.

Postby flemishgael » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:03 pm

As my first brews are with brewferm kits that leave very little to chance I would like to take the next step later this year and I have been eyeing the Northern Brewer starter kits as a logical next step as they actually let you boil the wort yourself, add malts, add hops, etc, etc.
It seems to be a logical next step.
But...I'm not sure where to find them in Ireland.
At $79.99 I don't like their quote for another $69 to ship it to Ireland.
Currently fermenting: Golden Bitter with a citra finish
Bottled and ready in April: Dry apple cider with honey instead of sugar and cardamom
Bottled and ready in January: Belgian Style Dark Ale
Planning:
Golden Ale with citra finish
flemishgael

Postby Qs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:07 am

Why not try the Homebrew Companys extract kits? https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/extra ... c-164.html
Qs

Postby flemishgael » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 am

Qs wrote:Why not try the Homebrew Companys extract kits? https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/extra ... c-164.html

That would do as well indeed.
Looking for a 20 litter cooking/boiling pan as well. Thought I would find it at Dunnes but they don't go that big.
Any recommendations in the Carrigaline/Cork area?
Bottled and ready in April: Dry apple cider with honey instead of sugar and cardamom
Planning:
flemishgael

Postby Qs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:05 pm

If you're doing a 20ish litre batch get a bigger pot. I've a 33 litre pot I bought from home brew west and after boil off, trub, dead space, etc I come out with 20 litres of beer.

If you just want a 20L pot try Ikea.
Qs

Postby flemishgael » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:47 pm

That's true actually. Would need at least a 30 litre one as it would foam etc and boiling water expands. Saw one a while ago in Ikea indeed but living in Cork I don't get to to Ikea very often. A friend in Mallow recommended the army depot in the Killarney outlet centre as they apparently have 33L billies.
Planning:
flemishgael

Postby flemishgael » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Received the kit today.
So will cook/brew the wort later today.
Just a wee question: I don't intent to add anything to the original brew this time but stick to the recipe but I was wondering if anyone has tried dry hopping after fermenting (during the 2 weeks of lagering) or would you prefer adding hops pellets during the last 3, 4 days of fermenting as is more usual?

I prefer a more subtle hops aroma so thinking of adding a little bit of hops during the lagering.
Planning:
flemishgael

Postby Qs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 am

I'd recommend adding your dry hop 7 days before bottling. If you want a more subtle aroma use less hops.
Qs

Postby flemishgael » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:00 am

Qs wrote:I'd recommend adding your dry hop 7 days before bottling. If you want a more subtle aroma use less hops.

Thanks. Will do just that
Planning:
flemishgael

Postby flemishgael » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Made some cider in the meantime as I had lots of windfall apples.
Bottled 3 batches of 5 litres: one lightly spiced with cardamon, one with cinnamon and a plain one. Used honey instead of sugar for all 3 which worked out fine.
Starting a hoppy golden ale on Tuesday.
Have some cascade, Saaz and citra hops and using a wheat malt.
Thinking of adding some coriander seeds and oats during the last 3 days of fermentation. Then add some citra during the lat 5 days of lagering for an extra citrus kick.
Bottle conditioning for 6 months means it will be right just before summer and an ideal summer beer.
Planning:
flemishgael

Return to Extract Brewing