It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Text Size
Login

All grain in an apartment - the german way

For those of us brewing with malted barley, as opposed to malt extract. It's not as hard as it sounds, so why not give it a go? The mash tun beckons.

Postby roryaherne » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:47 am

Hi folks,

Thought this might be of interest to people who want to go all grain but don't think it's suitable to apartments. I took the all grain recipe for amber ale from here

This is my boil kettle and mash/lauter tun. I picked one up locally for €89.

I then removed the standard tap and installed this ball valve tap and braided hose (with inner tube remove) manifest.

Test it out with some water first and make sure there are no leaks...

The recipe is to mash for 60 minutes at 65° so that requires strike water of 72°. Once temperature is reached I change the target to 65° and start the timer for 1 hour. Given there's a heating element underneath I need to stir every so often to prevent scorching. To be honest though the element kicked in very infrequently and if I add some insulation I reckon the 65° will hold for the hour and eliminate the need to stir at all.

Here is the grain bill and the mash. The lid is only off for a photo and occasional stirring. I leave it during the mash to conserve heat.

Image Image

First runnings have plenty of fine particles but after recirculating 3 liters or so it's pretty clear... the braided hose manifest is a success!

Image Image

Draining the wort...

Image Image

Spent grain. The neighbours have some chickens so I get a german dozen (ie, 10) eggs for the grain :mrgreen:

Boiling the hops... not the most rigorous boil tbh. I'll see if the isolation helps with this and if not I'll get a tauchsieder

Image Image

Into the fermenter we go.

One last look at how well the braided hose works...

I've kept the text/details sparse as there's enough info on this site about the theory. My intention was to show how all grain can be done in a small kitchen with very little equipment and/or diy work. Having said that, please feel free to ask any questions about anything.
Fermenting: Amber Ale

Conditioning:

Serving:
roryaherne

Postby Seanardee » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Very simple. Very well thought through. Well done.
Seanardee
Beoir Member

Postby roryaherne » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I can't take the credit, it's just my implementation of the most common method in the German speaking world.

A lot of them have actually a motorised stirrer that operates throughout the entire mash but I think it's a bit overkill tbh.

Conditioning:

Serving:
roryaherne

Postby johnrm » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:22 pm

That looks very effective.
What does the timer do on the boiler? I assume this beeps after a set period.
johnrm
Beoir Member

Postby roryaherne » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 am

johnrm wrote:That looks very effective.
What does the timer do on the boiler? I assume this beeps after a set period.

It beeps and cuts off the heating element. It has an infinity setting too but I haven't used it. The timer doesn't start until the desired temp is reached first. Something to beware of in stepped mashes (temp climbing times need to be accounted for).

Conditioning:

Serving:
roryaherne

Postby johnrm » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Yep, sounds like a good job.
johnrm
Beoir Member

Return to All Grain Brewing