It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:40 am

Text Size
Login

Trappist still no carbonation after 6 months!!!

For those of us brewing with malted barley, as opposed to malt extract. It's not as hard as it sounds, so why not give it a go? The mash tun beckons.

Postby magnethead » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 pm

ok, I'm real patient and I've given it 6 months and still when I open the bottles they are flat as anything. IT's 10.5% Alc..down from 1.090 to 1.012
I put an extra vile of trappist yeast into the Carboy the day before I bottled everything but no luck. I know the bigger beers can take their time carbonating but this is just not happening!

Would you advise syringing in some 'Champagne' yeast at this stage? Would that overcarbonate? creating bottle bombs?
I'm guessing that the 10.5% alc was too much for the trappist yeast or I got a dud vile?

I'm going to open a few and try the champagne yeast, Has anyone tried this before? I don't want to give up on these as the flavour is excellent!! :P

Thanks for any input.
magnethead

Postby donnchadhc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:40 pm

I think you've the right idea reseeding a few with champagne. Did you add any priming sugar at bottling stage? Could have "run out" of the simpler sugars and just have unfermentables left? That's a complete guess though !?!
donnchadhc

Postby oconn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 am

time to get a soda stream ? :)
oconn
Beoir Member

Postby Biertourist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 am

Next time you make a strong-ish beer (6% or more)
take some of the yeast cake and mix it with a cooled dextrose / glucose solution -mix it up really good and add a tiny bit to each bottle.

-The yeast will be healthy and have some alcohol tolerance already, -calculate the quantity of yeast and sugar properly so you don't get bottle bombs. 10.5% is TOUGH...

Adam
Biertourist

Postby magnethead » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I used 1 tsp of priming sugar in my 330ml bottles and 2 tsp in the 750ml bottles. This is only my second trappist in 4 years, but the last one was 8% an it took a few months to carbonate properly. This one is definately different.

I'm going to try the champagne yeast, obviously it'll take some time for feedback but I'll list the amounts I used.
magnethead

Postby magnethead » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 pm

ok, so it's taken me some time to get around to this :)

Since the FG was 1.012 and I already added 1tp to the 330mll bottles and 2tp to the 750ml, I guessing they have the sugar necessary? and the problem was just the high alcohol 10.5% killed off the trappist yeast.

I Re-hydrated the yeast pack with 100ml of water(twice the 50ml recommendation): which was good for 23L @ 2.17ml per Litre so I've doubled my dose below to compemsate for the dilution.

I have now injected Champagne yeast into Four test bottles, One 750ml and 3 * 330ml bottles:
two 330ml bottles get 2ml of yeast
the other gets 3ml for the crack!
and the 750ml bottle gets 3.5ml yeast

Fingers crossed I don't get bottle bombs :o

Some questions: Would you have added a little more sugar?
I normally leave my bottles to bottle condition for 2 weeks under a quilt with a temperature controller @20c.
But since these bottles are nearly a year old, I just think I'll have to wait for the bottle fermentation which is 3 days? correct or would you give it extra time, like the piss poor slow fermentation of trappist bottles which can take 6 months to come up to pressure? Champagne yeast is supposed to be a tough cookie, so shouldn't be too shocked by 10.5% alcohol...

Well I guess time will tell...
magnethead

Postby imark » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Was listening to an old podcast of the Jamil show that had Chris White (of White Labs) as a guest and they mentioned you should get the yeast started before adding it when the alcohol is that high to make sure it eats up the sugar.
imark

Return to All Grain Brewing