It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:27 pm

Text Size
Login

BIAB advice

For those of us brewing with malted barley, as opposed to malt extract. It's not as hard as it sounds, so why not give it a go? The mash tun beckons.

Postby heebyjeeby » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 pm

At the moment I am an extract brewer but am thinking of making the jump to all grain. Have been reading up about BIAB and it seems a cheap way to get in to all grain.

I have the 27 litre plastic boiler from the homebrewcompany, works great, how well would this work for BIAB? I would really like to keep my brew length at 23l in to the fermenter, which I get at the moment with a 27l boil. Not sure that grain and enough water will fit in to the boiler. Should I be looking at doing maxi-biab with a sparge step?

Don't really want to buy a bigger boiler, probably be cheaper to buy an icebox and change it in to a mash tun.
heebyjeeby

Postby Lars » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm a BIABer. Borrowed a mash tun once and it's not for me. I use a 40L boiler for full volume BIAB. You'll need to do maxi BIAB with a boiler that size
Lars

Postby jawalemon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm looking to get into BIAB as well. the example i saw was for a 3 gallon batch and an 8 gallon pot was used, so to do 5 gallon batch a 12 - 13 gallon boiler would be needed. does this sound about right?

Also could one of these be converted into a boiler?
http://www.industrialpackaging.ie/product.php/47/58/open-top-plastic-drums
jawalemon
Beoir Member

Postby Lars » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 am

I comfortably get 20-24 litres from a 40l Buffalo at gravities under 1.050 so size wise I'd say 12 or 13 gal would be great. No sure about ur container. Personally I hate large volumes of boiling liquid in plastic because it freaks me out. That aside, your plastic needs to be good grade at boiling temps. CH(cider head) on the NHC is a plastics expert and would be able to answer your question correctly

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
Lars

Return to All Grain Brewing