It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Text Size
Login

Dry Hop leaf flecks in beer

For those of us brewing with malted barley, as opposed to malt extract. It's not as hard as it sounds, so why not give it a go? The mash tun beckons.

Postby BrewCity » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 pm

I just dry hopped for the first time, and I have found loads of tiny miniscule flecks of hop leaf in my beer. They have not settled at all. I decided to go ahead and bottle it anyway because I needed the fermenter, but just wondering if this is common? Do people generally add some type of fining after dry hopping to remedy this?
BrewCity

Postby ben the brewer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:28 am

They should settle out in the bottle. I put some muslin cloth over my siphon when racking which generally filters alot....
Primary 1: Hoppy Amber Ale
Primary 2: Less Hoppy Amber Ale
ben the brewer

Postby Biertourist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 pm

I have dry hopped in a corney keg before and only managed to get a couple leaves into the beer.

-A couple of layers of sanitized muslin over the dip tube (have to remove it from the keg) OR a stainless screen over the end of the dip tube does wonders. (This is the option I used but you have to use a lot of pressure to put the dip tube on and it will slightly bend the dip tube (a good thing because you avoid yeast crud in the bottom of the keg).)

I dry hopped straight in the keg with no bag and then transferred to another keg when I thought it was hoppy enough. -Honestly this method is a huge pain to cleanup but dry hopping in a carboy is a bigger pain.

Adam
Biertourist

Postby irish_goat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Dry hopping using a muslin bag will sort that out as well.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby Shiny » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah it happened to me with my most recent brew. I was dry hopping and didn't have enough muslin bags so I just chucked them in and never thought of using a muslin bag to filter when siphoning into the bottling bucket.

I find being very gentle and using a single pour generally avoids the leaves coming out. Using a small sieve when pouring also works well.
Fermenting -
Aging - Rocket Fuel Mead, East India 'HopChoc' Porter
Bottled - Sylvan Blonde, Imperial Stout
Brewing Blog
Shiny
Beoir Member

Postby BrewCity » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks guys, I do use muslin bags, but the openings are big enough to let miniscule bits out. You can see the little specks of neon green floating near the bottom of the bottle. I guess it's not too bad, it just doesn't look very nice when you're trying to convince someone you make good beer and they see gunk floating in it!
BrewCity

Postby irish_goat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 pm

BrewCity wrote:Thanks guys, I do use muslin bags, but the openings are big enough to let miniscule bits out. You can see the little specks of neon green floating near the bottom of the bottle. I guess it's not too bad, it just doesn't look very nice when you're trying to convince someone you make good beer and they see gunk floating in it!

Your muslin bags really shouldn't have "openings" though. Are you buying them from homebrew shops? The ones from the Homebrew Company are definitely fine enough to keep everything in but they can tend to get ripped a little over time.

Another option is to use pellets as they'll sink to the bottom.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby BrewCity » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I am using the ones from homebrew shops, but of course they are not fine fabrics and will not filter out the smallest particles. The size of hop leaf I am getting in the beer is about the size of a grain of sugar - but there's a lot of them!
BrewCity

Postby irish_goat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm

BrewCity wrote:I am using the ones from homebrew shops, but of course they are not fine fabrics and will not filter out the smallest particles. The size of hop leaf I am getting in the beer is about the size of a grain of sugar - but there's a lot of them!

Might be a hop quality issue, if you've lots of sturdy cones you shouldn't be sugar sized bits. Alternatively you can get finer bags (or even use a pair of tights).
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Return to All Grain Brewing