It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 pm

Text Size
Login

Biddy Early for sale

We all want to know where we can get quality craft beers in Ireland and abroad, whether in bars, restaurants or off-licenses. Share your experiences here.

Postby rebel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:34 am

On the Irish Examiner the Biddy Early pub for sale 750,0000, micro brewery not included but buildings are included
rebel

Postby Barry M » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:38 am

What the hell? Any idea what this is about? Are they moving to a larger premesis? I think we have to be positive and assume they aren't shutting up shop.
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Fermenting: Fichte Bier
Bottled: Belle Saison, Schefflenzer Oatmeal Stout, Rakau Pale Ale, Phoenix Imperial Stout
Planning: Lots!
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby rebel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:40 am

I dont known, but when I visted the pub early in the year no locals drinking beer and the pub is not worth that kind of money with out the brewery name and equipmen and goodwill.
rebel

Postby TheBeerNut » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:43 am

Thom said herethat they had expansion plans, so perhaps they're moving from a brewpub to a non-pub microbrewery, like the Porterhouse did.
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:00 pm

Well, I sent an email to BEB this morning to get some more information, and we now have BiddyEarly signed up to the site.

BiddyEarly, I hope you'll find the site useful in terms of gauging consumer opinions, as we're all passionate about craft beer in Ireland, and I hope we can look forward to news and views from your good selves.

Welcome! :)
Blogs: The Bitten Bullet (beer), The Bauernhaus (house renovation) and Occasional Tweets

Bottled: Belle Saison, Schefflenzer Oatmeal Stout, Rakau Pale Ale, Phoenix Imperial Stout
Barry M
Site Admin

Postby BiddyEarly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Hello all. I was wondering when you would notice! I was thinking of just watching this over the next few days to see what wonderful rumors developed, but decided to put you out of your misery instead!

I'm afraid it's true, we are selling the pub. We took a decision which had more to do with the rural pub trade than the brew-pub trade. It was a difficult decision as the pub has been in our family for 25 years, but sometimes the time is just right.

That of course leaves the brewery without a home. We are exploring a number of options, including a joint venture, so our beers will hopefully see the light of day again. There will unfortunately be an interim period where they won't be available. I hope it won't be a very long interim period, but I can't make any promises at this stage.

Well done on a vibrant and informative site, it's a pity you weren't around a few years ago.

Regards
Niall Garvey
The Biddy Early Brewery
BiddyEarly
Beoir Member

Postby Hendrixcat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Welcome to the site. I sincerely hope you manage establish your brewery elsewhere. Your Biddy Red is probably one of the best red ales available. It has much more flavour than most of them. How long do you think production will be down for?
The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought. - Peter Medawar
Hendrixcat
Beoir Member

Postby Barry M » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi Niall,

Thanks for that, and putting everyone out of their misery! Although I think people will be feeling more miserable now! One of the lads was saying that trade didn't look so good, but I didn't think it would be that bad. As Iorwerth Griffiths said in his recent book, it looks like there's a second wave of craft breweries starting up, so it'd be a real shame if you guys don't come back in force.

Does this mean you are closing brewing operations immediately?

Barry M
Site Admin

Postby alexander taipan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:37 pm

You could always open in Athlone :lol:
alexander taipan

Postby bigears » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Niall,

Good to see you join up and and I sincerely hope that Biddy Earley beers will be available again soon. I visited the pub a couple of summers back and was somewhat depressed to see the number of people drinking Bud et al when the likes of the excellent Red Biddy was on tap. You were ahead of your time, so I hope you continue to get your beers out there. Do you have anything left for the Galway BeerFest? :D
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Serving:
bigears
Beoir Member

Postby rebel » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:10 am

Any chance of the icb members buying a job lot of bottles before the brewery closes. I would like to buy one or two cases of red biddy. I am sure other members would like to buy the beer also.
rebel

Postby Wobbler » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 am

alexander taipan wrote:You could always open in Athlone :lol:

Or Ballitore
Wobbler

Postby sbillings » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:10 am

Sad to hear that the pub is closing. I must say I enjoyed the beers I had when I visited last year. I can see how it would be an up hill struggle, with the location. Hope to see you up and running again soon. Ireland can't afford to lose a quality brewery like yours.
Fermentor: Bitter (OG: 1.033)
Conditioning: Dark Rye (4.3% ABV)
Serving: Saison (8% ABV), Blond (4.5% ABV)
sbillings
Site Admin

Postby DrJohn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:32 am

Welcome to the site, Niall. I hope it won't be long before you are up and running as a brewery again. I have been a member of BeerAdvocate for years, and it's interesting to note that when anyone asks for tips on visiting Ireland they are answered with a chorus of "you must visit Biddy Early's" from US members. It is better known among American beer aficionados than by the general Irish public.

It is great to have another "professional" brewer on the site.
DrJohn
Beoir Member

Postby rebel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Is Biddy Early sold or is it still trading
rebel

Next

Return to Bar Talk