The Irish Craft Beer Festival 2015 is almost here. For three days, dozens of breweries and hundreds of beers will be taking over the RDS in Dublin, alongside whiskey, cider, food, music and debate. It's the perfect opportunity to explore Irish craft beer under one roof, and try beers from breweries you've never met before.
But there's also the chance to taste one-off and rare beers not usually available at all. We've decided to compile this list of the specials we know about to whet your appetite ahead of the festival. It's not complete, it may not even be accurate, but it should get your mouth watering.
Don't forget to bring your Beoir membership card for half price admission at the door!
Blacks of Kinsale
Sour Brown Ale
Imperial Red Ale: 7.3%
Strong Ale: 10.4%
October Ale: 7%
Copper Coast aged in Sherry barrels: 4.3%
Raspberry Black Rock: 4.3%
Ochtoberfest Boch: 6.4%
Millennium Imperial IPA: 10%
Hilly Head Farmhouse Red Ale
Crossroads: American Style IPA, 6.2%
Geuzberry: Gooseberry kettle sour, 5.2%
Hillbilly Heaven: American bourbon oak aged ale
Hairy Nuts: IPA with pecan nuts
Broken Hipster: Ginger beer
No Country for Owl Men: Irish whiskey oak aged Ale
Beard of Zeus: Raspberry Ale
Bruce's Bluenoser: 4% blueberry ale
Year of the Goat: 4.5% coriander & anise ale
Vincent Van Coff: 4.6% coffee & vanilla ale
33: Sticke Altbier
Brutus Double IPA
Rhubarb and Strawberry Wheat Beer
Hop Heavy IPA
Curious Brew: Brewed with gin botanicals
Chardonnay Aged Saison
Big Hop Red infused with 250 Square Coffee
Sim Simma: Hemp ale
Triple Decoction Doppelbock
Rye River Saison
Smoked Belgian Dunkelweizen
Double Decoction Marzen
Oak Aged Keeping Red
Hipster Hopped - TNT
Hipster Hopped - Azacca
Hipster Hopped - Experimental Grapefruit
Watermelon Wheat Ale
Sexy Lacto Flanders
Sticker Junkie: IIPA
Belgian Single w/ Nelson Sauvin
Farami: coffee stout
Bitter Sable: Black APA
Blue Rose: Cascade hopped pale ale
Black Elder: Dry hopped black ale
Elevation Pale Ale
This weekend saw the first Killarney Beer Festival take place at the magnificent INEC. Beoir was heavily involved in getting it set up and primarily in running the Killarney Beer Awards as well as educational talks and tasting sessions.
For the awards, we invited 6 international judges from around the world to complement our own experienced judges. Five of these judges were EBCU delegates and are official judges in other EBCU endorsed competitions.
Each category had a senior judge assigned who had the deciding vote where a deadlock occurred.
Those senior judges were:
Beoir launches a new awards programme at the Killarney Beerfest this June!
- Pale Ale
- Belgian Style Ale
- Dark Ale
- Wheat Beer
- Sour Beer
The 2015 Dublin Craft Beer Cup was awarded to Coisbo Beer of Denmark for the second year in a row, this time for an imperial Russian stout aged in sherry barrels.
It appears the competition might have been fiercer and the judging more stringent this year. In previous years, it seemed that almost everyone got medals. Not this year, those qualifying for at least a bronze medal were few and far between compared to last year. sure, we got more than last year but we have a lot more breweries and they had a lot more beer to enter than last year so to have over 30 Irish winners among so many world class entries is something we can be proud of.
This year, we had two Irish breweries take home a gold medal. Congratulations to Carlow Brewing for their barrel aged Lean Folláin and also to Manor Brewing for their Mont Irish Mountain Lager.
Like last year, I've taken all of the Irish medal winners from the list and I'm listing them off here. A big congratulations to all of the medal winners. I think you can be even more proud when you consider how many beers didn't get medals this year.
We also had Cider added to the competition this year.
- Carlow Brewing Company - O'Hara's Barrel Aged Leann Folláin
- Manor Brewing Company- MONT Mountain Lager
- 5 Lamps Dublin Brewing - 5 Lamps Lager
- Kinnegar Brewing - Black Bucket
- Kinnegar Brewing - Yannaroddy
- Rascals Brewing Company - Chocolate Ginger Porter
- Rascals Brewing Company - Wit Woo
- Blacks Of Kinsale - High Vis
- Blacks Of Kinsale - Black IPA
- Hilden Brewery - Hilden Irish Stout
- Metalman Brewing - Metalman Heatsink
- 12 Acres Brewing Company - 12 Acres Pale Ale
- Wicklow Wolf Brewing Company - Black Perle Porter
- Kinnegar Brewing - Devil's Backbone
- Eight Degrees Brewing - Hurricane IPA
- James Brown Brews - Chocolate Orange Stout
- Dungarvan Brewing Company - Mine Head
- Dungarvan Brewing Company - Mahon Falls
- The 5 Lamps Dublin Brewing - Phoenix Dark
- Carlow Brewing Company - O'Hara's Leann Folláin
- Blacks Of Kinsale - RocketShip IPA
- Kelly's Mountain Brew – Revenge
- Black Donkey Brewing Ltd - Sheep Stealer
- The Porterhouse Brewing Company – Porterhouse Red Ale
- The Porterhouse Brewing Company - Wrasslers 4X
- Dan Kelly's Cider - Fiona's Fancy
- Dan Kelly's Cider - Dan Kelly’s Cider
- Carlow Brewing Company - Falling Apple
- MacIvors Cider Co. – MacIvors Medium Cider
- MacIvors Cider Co. – MacIvors Traditional Dry Cider
- dj's juice and cider- Tempted? Dry Cider